Question for Yaesu FT-60R Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDaze

I just read 22 pages of reviews on eHam.net and found no mention of this:
Do you find your radio to be "tippy" i.e. even if it's standing up on a nice flat, smooth surface, it is REALLY prone to falling over backwards?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well,the VX-5R is but that never bothered me. I put in a foam can-koozy to keep it upright.
Maybe you could do the same with the FT 60?
N9ZAS

MOGA

Yes, but only because of the long diamond whip that it usually wears.

I've never mounted the factory whip, but I imagine if I did, it would have a lot more balance when sitting on its arse on the desktop.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'd feel pretty silly dragging the foam thing around with me. Didn't seem to bother me in college, although back then I would rather my radio tip over than my beer get warm.

Good point!:lol:
N9ZAS

RadioDaze

Sorry SIG, but I couldn't get access to that page. But I'm glad, I guess, to hear that others have the same problem, and I don't have a case that's out of tolerance.

The problem appears to be that the front edge of the case has two little molded projections to make contact with the surface, but the point of contact at the rear is the battery retaining clip. So it's a 3-point footprint. (Even thought the battery clip appears to provide 2 points, they are close enough together as to be as good as one, compared to the front. And since the clip curves upward at the back, the radio wants to "roll" back on it after it leans past a certain point.)

The solution I'm going to explore is to find the correct thickness of sticky pad to place on the aluminum edge of the chassis that extends from the sides of the battery clip. If the thickness is just right, it will match the height of the front support nubs, and provide a 4-point contact.

Time to get out the feeler gauges and the digital micrometer! I'll share photos if I come up with something useful. Why they didn't build this solution onto the chassis itself is beyond me.

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
another thing you might try.

I went to Walmart and found plastic picture frames that do the trick. Use the belt clip on the back of the radio. Just clip it over the picture frame Some I found were tilted some stood straight up. My 4 HT's and 3 handheld scanners set on them. Cheap radio stand.

RadioDaze

I went to Walmart and found plastic picture frames that do the trick. Use the belt clip on the back of the radio. Just clip it over the picture frame Some I found were tilted some stood straight up. My 4 HT's and 3 handheld scanners set on them. Cheap radio stand.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I might even try that for the Uniden 330 on my nightstand. But I'd like a little more portable solution for the HT. When you look at the bottom, there is a little raised portion on the metal chassis on each side of the battery clip hinge, at each end of the hinge pin. If that raised area continued to the outer edge of the bottom on each side, the problem would have been solved. So the trick will be to affix something to fill in that height gap, which is about +/- 1.2mm. They could have easily done it in the original design, but since this radio has been around for a while, I can understand why they don't want to re-tool it. I'm betting on a little piece of plastic and some JB Weld to fix it... when I get around tuit.

N1BHH

I put mine in a coffee mug. I don't drink coffee and never put liquid in them. I have a couple that I use, one for my FT-60R and one for my Pro164. Just put a little padding in the bottom to raise the speaker up a tad and you are all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.