VHF for Communication While Sporting in Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

acepilot340

Hey all,
I was wondering if there was a VHF radio that could be used to communicate while sporting in the woods; currently we use FRS/GMRS but the terrain makes it impossible to hear, and cellular service does not exist for any carrier. (we've tried all 3 Sprint, Verizon, At&t) All that I need is 2 miles MAX, I was told to look for Yeasu or FDC, but I figure this forum would give me the best suggestions.

bezking

You can try MURS - it is a VHF service that does not require a license. Unfortunately no company sells dedicated MURS radios - so you will need to buy Commercial radios and have them programmed appropriately - power is limited to 2 watts, which 4x the power of FRS radios.

HTH

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You'll still be limited by terrain, although you might get better foliage penetration. (i.e. If it is a hill blocking transmissions, then VHF won't work, either.)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Cool radios with neat features. But, if foliage attenuation is the issue, they'll perform worse. Like VHF and UHF, they are line of sight, so terrain will still matter most.

KK6PD

You could always get your Technician license, get a good HH and see if there any REPEATERS that you and your clan could use!!!

acepilot340

Thanks for all the replies, I just wanted to add, these radios will be used while deer hunting and we are typically 15ft up in a tree, and there isn't much significant hilly terrain. And the FRS ones we have sometimes work, but the farther we are apart the more we say "10-9?"

Paulsan

Is there a list of GMRS repeaters out there somewhere? I can't imagine that there are as many GMRS repeaters as VHF/UHF repeaters.

N

N_Jay

If you are out in the woods, the chance of a well placed Ham or GMRS repeater is fairly low.

rescuecomm

MURS works very well for my hunting area. It works better than GMRS radios and I have the good stuff. The range will still be limited if you have rugged terrain in your hunt area. I am going to persuade my bear hunting partner to get his Technician class amatuer license so we can use my 2 meter portable repeater up there. I might have to bribe him with a new radio if he passes just to get him started.

Bob

k8mcn

If you are out in the woods, the chance of a well placed Ham or GMRS repeater is fairly low.
You could get your ham license,some mobile units can be set up to crossband repeat, thus allowing everyone in you party to reach the Mobil unit parked on high ground, and be rebroadcast out to the others
It is usually a 2 meter/440 split

Nubz

we're trying to pull you in get your license LOL

just wanted to be silly good luck finding a radio service that works good for you

Status
Not open for further replies.