12vdc to 24vdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvguy585

As I understand, some radio equipment used to be or can still be 24vdc requiring an inverter or dc to dc converter in a 12vdc system. I thought I would see if anyone here has had that problem? If so, did you find a solution. I don't need more then 400mA of power but I need to take 12vdc and turn it into 24vdc. I would like to find an inexpensive converter or a schematic to build one. A kit with all the stuff would be the best way to go because I wouldn't have to make a pcb board.

atvguy585

Yah, I have those at work. The bad thing is that they are a little over $100 my cost. I'm trying to see if someone knew of a cheaper alternative. I'm looking to spend under $40 on one.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I was going to suggest a second 12v Gel-Cel in series with the vehicle battery. But then I got to thinking about common grounds, charging issues, etc. I'm sure there would be a safe way to make it all work, but I'm too tired to figure it out right now. :confused:

atvguy585

I was going to suggest a second 12v Gel-Cel in series with the vehicle battery. But then I got to thinking about common grounds, charging issues, etc. I'm sure there would be a safe way to make it all work, but I'm too tired to figure it out right now. :confused:

I was thinking the same until I realized all of the above issues as well. If you can give me some ideas on how to make something like that work when your awake, I would appreciate it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is the 24v device connected to the vehicle's ground in any manner? ie; Power lead, metal enclosure, antenna ground, etc?

KF7DUR

If you already have a 12vdc to 110vac inverter. You can buy a 24vdc 500ma "wall wart" for under $20.
Not the most elegant solution, but it's cheap..

Status
Not open for further replies.