Icom: RS-91 com port error

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ4TND

I am trying to program my Icom ic-91ad with OPC-1529r programming cable and on every computer in my house it cannot connect to the radio. Tried restarting computer(s) multiple times changing com ports. Any ideas.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
what error does it give you? What OS are you trying it on? double check the device manager to confirm which port the radio is using....

KJ4TND

doesn't give a code just says com port error when I try to connect ot the radio. Tried on xp and windows 7. Made sure the comport was the same as on the device manager.

KD8LKQ

Remote Control Software for IC-91A/IC-91AD

I too am having the same problem. I've called ICOM tech support, and the fellow I spoke to didn't have any suggestions besides trying it on another PC. I did, but to no avail. So far, I've tried it on my laptop Panasonic CF-30 (built in serial port) and PC with an Intel Board. Any suggestions are welcome.

- Tim D.

fineshot1

Being that this is remote control software I must assume you both have the
91AD connected to the com port? IIRC it defaults to the com 1 port.

If not the software when it is started does not like that and must be able to
connect with the radios port.

Some of the other software such as for the ID-800H you can bring it up
without the radio being connected and it can work offline on a previously
uploaded program data file.

Also - if you have been using the com port for another app prior to attempting
running the RS-91 app sometimes other apps do not let go of the com port
and the only way is to either re-boot the pc or i even had to remove the offending
app as it was always running in the back ground and would not let go of the
com port.

KD8LKQ

Yes, I have the software (RS-91) Running, and the IC-91A plugged into COM 1. I have used the same COM for an elo touchscreen without problems. I though maybe the COM was in use by the elo drivers too, so I removed them, but no change. I have also assigned the COM to number 50 and tried it on COM 50. Still nothing. Like I mentioned before, I have also tried this on my PC too. I'm begining to wonder if maybe the cable is bad... I'll have to search around to find out what the pin-out is and do an ohms check...

Thanks for the suggestions.

KD8LKQ

Seven Years Later...

So, at yet another attempt to program my IC-91A, I start searching the internet for anyone who has had this issue. And I came across an forum, with someone describing my exact problem. Exact. Very exact. In fact, it was me!

Sigh... If anyone has any further insight to this issue, I would appreciate your help. My cable is good. I've tried multiple versions of RS-91. I've tried CHIRP. I'm now using the CF-31 laptop, and still no luck communicating on the COM port.

As I was looking over the board itself, I did notice an "unsoldered" spot. This was a spot that was designed for an SMD of some kind, but had nothing there. And looks like it never had anything there. (It had solder bubbles, not breaks)

Maybe if I can get ahold of a service manual, I might be able to tell if it was supposed to be a resistor inline with the data cable?

Thanks again if anyone comments back with info.

KD8LKQ-TimD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.