900 MHz radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

990adv

In another thread I asked about Motorola radios for amateur use. You guys responded with lots of great info. Since then I have been checking things out on the web and at a Hamfest. I have decided that, for me, commercial gear for 2m and 70cm is not worth it. Please, no one get offended. This is not a value judgement of you, just what is right for me. I am still interested in commercial gear. Maybe now is where you can help again.

I would like to get into the 900 MHz band. Maybe stir up some activity in this area. Any advice about gear, not just Motorola, would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for info on handhelds, mobile and even repeater info.

Thanks guys

n5ims

Currently there is no ham gear for the 900 MHz amateur frequencies availble, the market is just too small. You will need to look at commercial gear for this band. Some will work quite easily, but others require some coaxing to work there. Sites like Batlabs (Batwing Laboratories) are a good start for help with Motorola radio conversions where this forum Batboard • View forum - Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur is specifically about converting Motorola radios for 33cm ham use.

SCPD

QRT
Ham on 900 mhz

In another thread I asked about Motorola radios for amateur use. You guys responded with lots of great info. Since then I have been checking things out on the web and at a Hamfest. I have decided that, for me, commercial gear for 2m and 70cm is not worth it. Please, no one get offended. This is not a value judgement of you, just what is right for me. I am still interested in commercial gear. Maybe now is where you can help again.

I would like to get into the 900 MHz band. Maybe stir up some activity in this area. Any advice about gear, not just Motorola, would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for info on handhelds, mobile and even repeater info.

Thanks guys

First off, there's nothing wrong with not wanting commercial gear on the bands that ham gear is available. The ability to change programming parameters without having to hook up a computer is a great plus to run the ham gear.

As far as equipment for 900, I'm only familiar with Motorola equipment that other people own. There are some 900 machines here in Metro Detroit, and I know that some of the people on there run GTX and MTX9250 handhelds, and Spectra and LCS2000 mobiles. I believe all needed to do some sort of hardware and/or software mods to get them on 900. There are Yahoo Usergroups that can tell you a lot more than I can.

But I caution you, before you spend money on TX gear, listen to the repeaters in your area. There may be a half dozen machines in your area, but if they are all deader than a squirrel in the middle of I-94, is it really worth it? If you consistenly hear people throw out their call, and all they get is dead air, and even the repeater owner isn't coming back to them, it's more a probability than a possibilty that you are going to get the same treatment.

Last edited:

N1BHH

The only way to go on 900 is with commercial gear. Lots of us have mobile and hand held radios that were bought used and at a good price. Same with the repeaters, here in the northeast we have about 50 former business repeaters, MSF5000's to be exact. They work pretty good once the bugs are worked out. There are not many repeaters so that's one drawback.

As for dual band VHF/UHF radios, they are plentiful, have great flexibility in instant frequency and tone changing ability on the fly.

It might be like pulling hens teeth for activity on 900 because so many people don't have to move because of PAVEPAWS. Other parts of the country have limited amounts of active machines, but here it's growing.

SAR923

Kenwood also makes 900 Mhz radios that can be modified for ham use, although most hams think the Motos are easier to modify, and they are certainly more available. The fact that no ham rigs have 900 Mhz transmit capabilities gives you an idea of how frequently you'll encounter a 900 Mhz repeater or another ham on 900. As long as you realize you'll be a pioneer, and we know who the pioneers are from the arrows in their backs, have at it. :)

kd7rto

I use a Kewood TK-931 with the preselector filters changed, and it works very well.

Motorolas certainly will do the job, if you don't mind taking them in to a shop and paying to have them programmed. Personally, I would only consider buying a radio for hobby purposes that I cannot program at home if I had no other choice.

Here's a great page for information: Exploring 900 MHz - 900 MHz Radio Modifications

Last edited:

fineshot1

Here is a small sample of what a google search turns up and there is plenty more.

Exploring 900 MHz - 900 MHz Radio Modifications

Motorola GTX for 900 MHz Amateur / Ham Radio

900 MHz Radios & Mods - QRZ Forums

33-centimeter band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advancing Ham Radio.. different ideas: Experimental 900 MHz Ham Radio Repeater

I do not know of any hams that pay to have there 900mhz radios programmed - its all
done via the oem programming software that has been modified to program within the
band limits of 902-928 Mhz whether it be motorola or any other manufactures.

W2NJS

I have an old 2007 ARRL Repeater Directory which shows no 900 mHz activiity in Illinois. Hopefully that's changed, but what you need is a current issue of that Directory to see what, if anything, is happening on 900 mHz where you live.

900 is a great band once you're set up for it. There may be some hurdles involved to get there but once you do you'll like it.

n1oty

Premium Subscriber
Oh, there is indeed ham 900 activity in Illinois now. It was NN1D and I who got the deal in place for the acquisition of all those MSF5000's in NJ and the Chicago area was well represented in that first run to NJ. Just look up N9WYS for guidance in that neck of the woods. Here's a link to his article about the MSF5000 acquisition:

Converting a New Jersey 900 MHz MSF5000 for Amateur Band use

John

I have an old 2007 ARRL Repeater Directory which shows no 900 mHz activiity in Illinois. Hopefully that's changed, but what you need is a current issue of that Directory to see what, if anything, is happening on 900 mHz where you live.

900 is a great band once you're set up for it. There may be some hurdles involved to get there but once you do you'll like it.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber

W9NES

I am very active on 900Mhz 33CM on the Repeater in Indianapolis,Indiana. I have 900Mhz radios that I use. I use a Motorola MCS 2000 Mobile on a power supply with a outdoor antenna for my base and for my Handheld I use a Kenwood tk-481 portable.

990adv

New HT from Alinco

Saw a new model HT from Alinco at Dayton this weekend. 220Mhz and 900MHz.

I will be buying one as soon as they are available for purchase.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Thats very interesting. Finallly one of the manufactorers taking the plung into 900 MHz. I'm waiting for one of them to build a P25 rig for 2M and 440.

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
If you want to go into the next great thing....might I recommend D-Star? Its not 900 MHz, but it is reliable and works well, and you can talk all over the world, without needing a general or extra class license.

canav844

If you want to go into the next great thing....might I recommend D-Star? Its not 900 MHz, but it is reliable and works well, and you can talk all over the world, without needing a general or extra class license.
I'm an Extra and I'm into DSTAR too, but it's a different beast, different strokes for different folks kinda thing.:cool:

N4KVE

IRLP, & Echo Link will also allow you to talk around the world, & you don't have to buy a special radio. The newest fad of the week is now Mototrbo. Here in South Florida there are some 900 rptr's & I'm on them with some surplus "M" radios. If I want to use digital, I've got IMBE radios. GARY N4KVE

990adv

I am on D-star now. Icom 2820 and 92ad. I wish ALL the manufacturers included D-star in equipment. Yaesu could put it in the FT-8x7 series radios and the VX8 radios. Filled out a comment card at the Alinco booth expressing my desire for them to have D-star in their gear. Rep at the booth said that has been talked about.

The neat thing about this new radio is 900Mhz without having to deal with Motorola.

Mototrbo is NOT in my future either.

Status
Not open for further replies.