I'm New, FT-7900R w/ NCG Comet CA-2x4SR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ4ZZP

I have my mobile set up in mind, just saving to get it.

Yaesu FT-7900R matched with an NCG Comet CA-2x4SR antenna
Will be installed in my 99 Villager mini-van. (My Dogs fit better)

What do you guys think about that setup? I am poor as most of my money gets put into training myself and my dogs for SAR work. I am also going to get the NWS storm spotter class done.

This set up will be mainly for SAR work and some hobby ham.

Thanks for any info,

KJ4ZZP

Is there nobody on this forum that knows about this combo? The Radio I am 99% sure its what I am getting. I guess we could narrow this down to what would the absolute best antenna to match it with. Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

alamo5000

I have been looking into my own first rig. I have asked a lot of people who are in the know...

and here is what I will be getting...

Kenwood D710A (my own choice on that one, but no one objected to it).... as for the antenna I ordered a Comet SBB5-NMO. Its going to be mounted with a 5 inch mag mount.

I read the reviews on eham and the one I picked had a lot of good reviews. I also saw yours on there and the reviews are good too.

Based on what I have been hearing about all this, you should be pleased with your choices.

N1BHH

The best antenna is the one you find the best. A short antenna may work out better in some cases, while a gain type antenna works better. I use the Larsen NMO-2/70B on my van and it works fine for me.

N0BDW

I would recommend that combination, yes. However: I imagine you are getting the Comet CA-2x4SR because you want to transmit on non-ham frequencies (that would be the only point in getting that particular antenna). You need to be very careful about that. The radio you've picked (and this is true of most amateur radios) is not FCC Part 90 approved. In order to legally transmit on public safety / business band frequencies the radio MUST be Part 90 certified. If you really want to transmit on non-ham frequencies you'd be better off with something like a Motorola, however you'll pay much more for it (especially if you want the dual band capability).

In short: you can use public safety type radios on the ham bands but you can't use ham radios on the public safety bands (legally - technically it'll work if properly modded).

The setup will work, either way. But you can probably save some money on the antenna if you don't need to transmit outside the ham band and if you do need to transmit outside the ham band get a different radio (a commercial/public safety radio).

Last edited:

LtDoc

I've used that antenna with several radios, I'm happy with it's performance. It is a 'stiff' antenna, doesn't bend well, so hitting things with it isn't exactly the best idea in the world.
- 'Doc

KJ4ZZP

As far as Using the radio outside of the Ham band I don't have an issue with that at all. Most SAR is either done on GMRS or Public Safety radio's. I have my radio for Public safety and when it is required by my EOC, and when in another area EOC they issue me a radio if required for there search. If I respond to a FEMA call like I have during KATRINA, IKE ect.. EOC has always had us use GMRS frequencies because there are never enough radio's around to issue out.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
As far as Using the radio outside of the Ham band I don't have an issue with that at all. Most SAR is either done on GMRS or Public Safety radio's. I have my radio for Public safety and when it is required by my EOC, and when in another area EOC they issue me a radio if required for there search. If I respond to a FEMA call like I have during KATRINA, IKE ect.. EOC has always had us use GMRS frequencies because there are never enough radio's around to issue out.

IF you want to stay on the up and up with the public safety community, then I would suggest you NOT use a radio designed and marketed for amateur radio ONLY.
There are plenty of other type accepted radios out there for SAR and PS activities.
...just sayin. :)
n9zas

N0BDW

IF you want to stay on the up and up with the public safety community, then I would suggest you NOT use a radio designed and marketed for amateur radio ONLY.
There are plenty of other type accepted radios out there for SAR and PS activities.
...just sayin. :)
n9zas

Yep, I'd agree. Probably get a Motorola (I'm a brand loyalist in that regard).

If you do get the combo mentioned above (the Yaesu and the Comet) make sure you get RF adapters to adapt from PL-259 to whatever gear the EOC is giving you (mini-UHF?).

KJ4ZZP

As I already have stated, I already have my Public Safety Radio.... I am not looking to broadcast anything in those bands with the setup in question as I already have it covered. Please read before post. Not trying to come off as an arse just pointing it out. Depending on where the call is to, Some searches they use Ham or GMRS bands for communications and not Public Safety bands. Hurricane Katrina for example they used GMRS frequencies.

Last edited:

N0BDW

As I already have stated, I already have my Public Safety Radio.... I am not looking to broadcast anything in those bands with the setup in question as I already have it covered. Please read before post. Not trying to come off as an arse just pointing it out. Depending on where the call is to, Some searches they use Ham or GMRS bands for communications and not Public Safety bands. Hurricane Katrina for example they used GMRS frequencies.

No need to get hostile. I read what you said and I stand by my statement.

There is no point in getting this antenna unless you are going to transmit on ANY non-ham frequencies (including GMRS). If you are going to transmit on any non-ham frequencies (such as GMRS) you will need to do it with a different radio (which, yes, I understand you already have). My point was if you want to use your commercial gear (ie, what you already have) with the new antenna, make sure you get the appropriate adaptor for that gear because more than likely it will have something like mini-UHF and not PL259. Make sense?

KJ4ZZP

No need to get hostile. I read what you said and I stand by my statement.

There is no point in getting this antenna unless you are going to transmit on ANY non-ham frequencies (including GMRS). If you are going to transmit on any non-ham frequencies (such as GMRS) you will need to do it with a different radio (which, yes, I understand you already have). My point was if you want to use your commercial gear (ie, what you already have) with the new antenna, make sure you get the appropriate adaptor for that gear because more than likely it will have something like mini-UHF and not PL259. Make sense?

Thats does make sense. I was not being hostile and if it came out that way I apologize. Thats why I said I wasnt trying to an arse. I really am thankful for any info I can get.

elk2370bruce

When we were dispatched to Katrina, we were assigned radios when we got there and given instructions as to which frequencies we were to use for what purpose. Others who were assigned solely for amateur radio purposes, did bring their own equipment. I did bring my own VHF/UHF and HF go-bag and followed the Emergency Management Communications directions when asked to activate my own rigs.

KJ4ZZP

Right now, Ham Radio Outlet has the 7900 on sale with free shipping, for $299.95. I bought one, and love it.

That seems to be the going rate for it right now. I have like two weeks until I get my tax returns so I may just get the FT-8900R instead. Still debating.

N0BDW

Looks like I will be going with the FT-8900R. The cross band repeat could come in real handy...

I have the 8800 (same rig but 2M/440 only) and I use the x-band repeat fairly regularly so I can talk into my car on 440 from my HT and take advantage of the mobile's additional power and gain into a repeater on VHF.

KJ4ZZP

I have the 8800 (same rig but 2M/440 only) and I use the x-band repeat fairly regularly so I can talk into my car on 440 from my HT and take advantage of the mobile's additional power and gain into a repeater on VHF.

What antenna setup are you using? I'll be using a 2 antenna setup most likely, one for 2m,70cm. the other not sure yet.

KJ4ZZP

I'd be interested in seeing how you set that up. I'm using a Comet CSB-790A

Basically for now just going to be using a dual band antenna for 2m and 70cm. when I go to add the other antenna's for the other bands I will probably use a duplexer.Not sure if that will work, may have to put a manual switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.