Poll: Wouxun Mobile for you?

Will you be purchaing the new Wouxun mobile?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporkupine

Yep, that's why I made that one of the options in the poll; there are quite a few people who use/enjoy the Part 90 cert. Given that the HT has proven to be a very viable competitor to both YaeComWood (amateur) and /\/\ (land mobile and public safety), Wouxun would have to be doing some serious bong hits to not make sure the mobile is Part 90 kosher, ya know?

KD8DVR

The release of the new http://forums.radioreference.com/am...192443-wouxun-dual-band-kg-uv920r-mobile.html is approaching, so I though thought I'd do a quick poll.

Will you be purchasing the new radio when it's available?

I will get the bucks together.. wait for reviews and make my decision. From what I have seen so far, it could be a nice rig.

So far no FCC certifications, so things look a little jammed up. Supposedly, the radio was to go to sale in January.

Sporkupine

Now that I think about it, I would have to agree with K2AFY up there...I bet they're waiting for the Part 90 hoop-jumping to be concluded before they release it...

elk2370bruce

Hopefully the next model they release will be a true tribander! That would be awesome. If the mobile is as good in quality as the H/T's, and as cost competitive -count me in.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have the portable and love it, mainly because of the wide frequency range and the part 90 type acceptance. Now if they would just release one that includes low band and 800 :)

I'm also waiting to see if the mobile gets Part 90 certification. That's more important to me than price. If it gets Part 90, I'll probably buy a couple. I wish it was clear if they were going for Part 90 or not...if I knew for sure, I would have "reserved one" already.

Sporkupine

I have the portable and love it, mainly because of the wide frequency range and the part 90 type acceptance. Now if they would just release one that includes low band and 800 :)

I'm also waiting to see if the mobile gets Part 90 certification. That's more important to me than price. If it gets Part 90, I'll probably buy a couple. I wish it was clear if they were going for Part 90 or not...if I knew for sure, I would have "reserved one" already.

Remember the old Kenwood tribanders that had "modules" that could be stuck in there for the third band? I wonder if technology/manufacturing cost has reached the point where this idea could be tried again...

N4KVE

Hopefully the next model they release will be a true tribander! That would be awesome. If the mobile is as good in quality as the H/T's, and as cost competitive -count me in.
What should the 3rd band be, 220MHZ? Do these Chinese radios receive 800 MHZ like the big 3 do? GARY N4KVE

Sporkupine

What should the 3rd band be, 220MHZ? Do these Chinese radios receive 800 MHZ like the big 3 do? GARY N4KVE

The HT and the mobile are both available in either 2m/440 or 2m/220 flavours.

It does not do wide receive "like the big three." However, also unlike the Big Three, they provide a useful power output on the 220 band, instead of padding their spec sheet with the 220 band and then mentioning in the fine print that the power output is pretty much useless.

I'll gladly trade a front end that's not DC-to-daylight for a TX power level that can actually accomplish something on a band that I use.

All things in life are a compromise of some sort...

To answer the original question, however, I think that 6 meters would be a fun thing to have.

ki4its

Wouxun Mobile Dual Bander KG-UV3D

I have 4 of the ht's. I love them. The extra software you can get for them is VERY helpful :)
We purchased them for their business band capability, mostly. Fantastic little radios. Very easy to program.

Sporkupine

A question for you, Thunderknight, and I'm not trying to be a wiseacre; I'm genuinely curious...

Since you're not (primarily) concerned with cost, what would be the draw for you choosing the Wouxun over another brand of commercial radio?

Sporkupine

A Correction re: tribander HT's

I just looked and the Kenwood TH-F6A offers 5w on the 220 band. So, I stand corrected. For some reason, I always forget about Kenwood HTs. I think the reason for this is every time I try to use a Kenwood HT my bowels loosen and I lose faith in humanity for two days.

So anyways, oops.

K2AFY

I reserved on at NEW Wouxun KG-UV920R Mobile Transceiver Ham Radio no obligation. Once the price is made available you can opt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.