My planned set up so far!!! (Mobile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ4ZZP

I debated and research for many hours and days on what to get for my mobile setup. I think I finally have it. Now all I am waiting on is tax returns to put in the order. I cant wait.

Here is what I have planed for the order. Myself and my step dad are both getting the same setup, thats the reason for the numbers.

2 Yaesu FT-8900R
2 CF-530C
4 C2135NMO (We are getting better coax just have to figure out whats best for the setup)
2 CA-2X4SR
2 M685SNMO
2 AD-15M

wyomingmedic

As a long time mobile ham radio op and installer, I would feel bad if I didn't give you my thoughts here.

1. Ft-8900 is a great rig. Good choice.

2. Dunno much about this diplexer. Eham reviews would be best.

3. Have no idea what these are. I think NMO mounts from Comet? I would caution you against "pacific rim" NMO mounts. While called NMO mounts, they are actually cut every so slightly different than a true NMO mount (I assume to escape patent law). A real NMO antenna will not quite screw on properly and may not make proper connection. This is fairly well documented at KØBG.COM

4 and 6 together. Getting a SO239 antenna and adapting it down to a NMO mount is not a great recipe for "robustness". SO239 connectors themselves are known for leaking and not making solid mechanical connections (weak). To take and put an adapter inline will only make your chances of water ingress and degraded performance worse.

5. Seems ok. Dunno if it is a true NMO mount or not.

What I do is look at what firetrucks, ambulances and police vehicles are using for their antennas. I look because I know the public safety industry will not tolerate poor equipment that will be prone to failure and need maintenance.

What you will see on top of 99% of those vehicles is Larsen antennas. Larsen is truly the bees knees of antennas, and they are generally cheaper than the "pacific rim" versions. Larsen is all that I use. MANY MANY online stories of 30 year old Larsens being on 10+ vehicles. Not the case for the Comet or Diamond mobile antennas.

Plus Larsen makes REAL NMO mounts which never rust and match real NMO antennas.

What I might suggest is a look at the Larsen NMO2/70 dual band antenna (ABOUT $55), and the NMO50 for 6 meters (ABOUT $35). Couple that with a few NMO kits from larsen or Laird and you would have a setup that would probably not need any maintenance for a decade or more.

Give Alan at KØBG.COM an e-mail and ask his opinion. He is a very bright feller when it comes to mobile setups. Or just read through his GOBS of information. And look at the Eham reviews and really look at every component you want. Plus read the Mobile Install forums on Eham. LOTS of good info.

Those are my thoughts.

WM

KJ4ZZP

The duplexer is actually made just for the FT-8900 specifically. The 6m antenna is a diamond and is a true nmo, I am getting true nmo mounts as far as coax too, just havent got it nailed down yet with a part number. I think the coax im looking at are Laird rg58.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is there enough 6m activity in your area to justify the extra expense of the FT-8900, duplexer, and antenna? 6m is a fun band when it's open, but most long-distance work on 6m is on CW and SSB, not FM. Same goes for 10m.

K0BG was mentioned in WyomingMedic's reply. The actual URL is correct behind vBulletin's munging of the site name. That site is a wealth of information about mobile ham radio installation.

I will second WyomingMedic's comments about Larsen antennas. I've been using them almost exclusively for mobile installations since the early 1990's. The fold-over mounts that are popular on the Asian antennas are prone to corrosion issues and weak springs. For 2m/70cm, I swear by the Larsen NMO 2/70B. A plain 1/4 wave whip cut for 6m will perform just as well as the Diamond M685SNMO, but keep in mind that neither of them will work properly without very good grounding of the mount.

Ash12

I debated and research for many hours and days on what to get for my mobile setup. I think I finally have it. Now all I am waiting on is tax returns to put in the order. I cant wait.

Here is what I have planed for the order. Myself and my step dad are both getting the same setup, thats the reason for the numbers.

2 Yaesu FT-8900R
2 CF-530C
4 C2135NMO (We are getting better coax just have to figure out whats best for the setup)
2 CA-2X4SR
2 M685SNMO
2 AD-15M

Thats awsome!

Status
Not open for further replies.