questions about marine channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiohead16

I have two (2) questions to ask but lets start with what i have. I have an icom 2200h and would like to use it for hunting as well as ham. the hunters in the area use mainly marine vhf non comercial channels. the problem i'm having is that my radio will let me listen to the chanels but not transmit.

Questions:
1) IS IT LEGAL?

2) how do i change it so that i can transmit on the non commercial marine channels.

K9WG

1. No, it is not legal to transmit on marine channels unless you are a boat or a coast station.
2. It is illegal to transmit on any other frequency other then ham with a ham radio (exception MARS)

stevelton

I have two (2) questions to ask but lets start with what i have. I have an icom 2200h and would like to use it for hunting as well as ham. the hunters in the area use mainly marine vhf non comercial channels. the problem i'm having is that my radio will let me listen to the chanels but not transmit.

Questions:
1) IS IT LEGAL?

2) how do i change it so that i can transmit on the non commercial marine channels.

For 2).
mods.dk - Modifications for radioamateur is a good site for informational purposes on different modifications you may be able to make to your radio, at your own risk of course. These range from extended receive, audio adjustments, changing the LCD Display backlight to a different color, and yes, even how to open up the transmitter.

Getting caught operating in this way could get you in a lot of trouble. Some guys around here each got a $500 fine and the radios they were using taken by the FCC for doing what you are asking how to do.

The legal way would be to buy some cheap Part 90 radios, like an Icom F14 vhf handheld or F5011 mobile, and each of the guys you hunt with pitch in and get a license for an Itinerant frequency. Depending on how close you are to an urban area, you may have to share the frequency with farmers and other businesses.

Steven

For 2).
mods.dk - Modifications for radioamateur is a good site for informational purposes on different modifications you may be able to make to your radio, at your own risk of course. These range from extended receive, audio adjustments, changing the LCD Display backlight to a different color, and yes, even how to open up the transmitter.

Getting caught operating in this way could get you in a lot of trouble. Some guys around here each got a $500 fine and the radios they were using taken by the FCC for doing what you are asking how to do.

The legal way would be to buy some cheap Part 90 radios, like an Icom F14 vhf handheld or F5011 mobile, and each of the guys you hunt with pitch in and get a license for an Itinerant frequency. Depending on how close you are to an urban area, you may have to share the frequency with farmers and other businesses.

Steven

A loose group of "hunting buddies" would not meet the criteria for a Part 90 business license. When you file for a license after obtaining the required frequency coordination you have to specify precisely how you will utilize radio in your business and when you submit it to the FCC you are certifiying the information is accurate and true.

If you studied and passed your Amateur license encourage your hunting buddies to do the same. A lot of folks believe that because you don't need a license to buy a Marine radio that you can operate as a unregulated radio communications medium; this is not the case. The FCC regulates and enforces the use of Marine radios and have issued NAL's to individuals in violation of FCC requlations.

stevelton

A loose group of "hunting buddies" would not meet the criteria for a Part 90 business license. When you file for a license after obtaining the required frequency coordination you have to specify precisely how you will utilize radio in your business and when you submit it to the FCC you are certifiying the information is accurate and true.

Actually, Forest Industries Telecommunications, one of the main FCC part 90 frequency coordinators, advertises and sells a special licensing package gear toward hunters, motorcycle clubs, paintball groups, etc. For their $175 coordination fee, and $260 for FCC filing fees, they could get a statewide Itinerant frequency. Here is the PDF for the order form http://www.landmobile.com/packages2009.pdf

Im not too sure which eligibility it falls under, maybe educational, but either way FIT advertises it.

Doing the whole Amateur license thing wouldnt be too bad either, but every time someone new wanted to join the hunting group, they would have to go through the testing process and wait for the callsign before being about to use a radio. They definitely would not want to use ham frequencies without a license, cuz hams will hunt down those doing it in a bad way, not something you would want to mess with!

At least with the Part 90 license, some joe blow could show up, and you just hand him a radio and he is good to go.

PM me if you want more detailed info.
Steven

I would be really curious as to what the wording was for their statement of eligilbility. Your Icom wouldn't pass the smell test for operation on Part 90 operation. Regardless operation on Marine frequencies would be a no no.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Don't know how far apart your hunting buddies get from each other during a hunt, but if you are out away from civilization, the freakin FRS radios will work just fine!!! Take away man made noise, interference of all kinds, etc. and you will be amazed how far they operate.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Consider FRS, GMRS, or MURS. That's what you want.

Stay away from marine (not allowed). Forget getting an itinerant frequency (it'll cost you extra money and, as people have mentioned above, the whole thing is dubious for what you want).

Peter
K1PGV

pointman1177

A little off off topic but then again it's not. First off I'm a licensed ham KD8PPH and have a part 90 certified prep which is my wouxun. I have a boat not figuratively but literally and obviously being on the great lakes a Marine Radio.

Operating on the water is the only allowable way to use a marine radio we all know that or shame on you for not, by doing so with my wouxun there is nothing illegal about it as long as I'm compliant with the standing rules of marine practice and that the radio is part 90 to begin with correct?

pointman1177

ahhh never thought about that before but this part 90 radio covers 136-174 and marine is 156 so I guess it's halfway correct but still confusing to me

elk2370bruce

The consensus here, from experienced operators, is that you should not be using marine frequencies for your hunting expeditions. As a newbie, you can easily point to some potential"loophole" but the people in Gettysburg have no sense of humor about these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.