New radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
I've decided to go get my ham ticket, and i've been eyeballing the Kenwood TH-K2AT as my first radio. It's attractively priced, powerful, and suits my needs for mobility. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions for other handhelds?

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I believe that the TH-K2AT is a 2m only transceiver. My first HT was a 2m, but for a few dollars more I would go ahead and get a dualband 2m/70cm HT. Depending on where you are, or when traveling you will probably wish you got one after seeing what is available, especially when traveling.

elk2370bruce

Using the Clint Eastwood movie title "For A Few Dollars More", you might wish to consider a 144/440 dual band radio. You may also wish to look at other manufacturers as well. The Yaesu FT-7900R, for example, is a very popular rig that is easy to program and has a small footprint for mobile operations (including a remote head option) for around $ 250.00. A dual band mobile antenna (various good brands) are usually in the same price range as the mono-banders. If you are considering an HT, take a look at the WOUXUN dual banders that are also very popular and can be had for a much cheaper price (around $ 110-125). Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco, Wouxun are all viable and proven manufacturers. Personally, I am not a great fan of the Kenwood line (but there are many that are) Its all personal preference.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
going for your tech ticket first, I assume. If you have only an HT you are going to be disappointed when you can't HIT a repeater solidly enough for reliable communications. They are great for hamfest, local events, but a good mobile rig is probably going to serve you better. Almost all of the ones made can easily be removed from a vehicle, with quick disconnect on the power cord, and moved into the shack for reliable communications there also. Just makes ham life more enjoyable when you know you can join in on a QSO and be heard by all. I won't slam a particular maker, but the Kenwoods seem to not be the favorite of many. I think partially because they don't make the range of radios the others do. And a big part of it is how easily does it program. Even to get it set up for local use, you don't want to get frustrated entering freq, CTCSS, power level, etc. Another good reason for a radio that can be programmed with software. Good luck on the exam and hopefully CU on the air...

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
I got the Kenwood TH-D72A for my first radio. Though it's pretty expensive it suits all my needs, I have no problems hitting the two repeaters in my local area. Dual band, Echolink, APRS, Packet, GPS, Full duplex for Sat work.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
going for your tech ticket first, I assume. If you have only an HT you are going to be disappointed when you can't HIT a repeater solidly enough for reliable communications. They are great for hamfest, local events, but a good mobile rig is probably going to serve you better. Almost all of the ones made can easily be removed from a vehicle, with quick disconnect on the power cord, and moved into the shack for reliable communications there also. Just makes ham life more enjoyable when you know you can join in on a QSO and be heard by all. I won't slam a particular maker, but the Kenwoods seem to not be the favorite of many. I think partially because they don't make the range of radios the others do. And a big part of it is how easily does it program. Even to get it set up for local use, you don't want to get frustrated entering freq, CTCSS, power level, etc. Another good reason for a radio that can be programmed with software. Good luck on the exam and hopefully CU on the air...

I'll be working toward a mobile, but i want to start out with a handheld for the portability. I was originally looking at the Kenwood, but i've been eyeballing some Yaesu units also. I'm not going to buy a single band radio, after reading up on equipment some more. Can anybody please tell me the advantages to a tri-band versus a dual band?? I'm thinking the tri-band will be better in the long run as i progress in the hobby, but i'm not sure. I'm looking at a Yaesu VX-6R.

Last edited:

ranger821

Premium Subscriber
Sparks40. Unless you will be using all three bands, stick with the dualbander. The extra band will cost you more money. Is all three bands used in your local area?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'll be working toward a mobile, but i want to start out with a handheld for the portability. I was originally looking at the Kenwood, but i've been eyeballing some Yaesu units also. I'm not going to buy a single band radio, after reading up on equipment some more. Can anybody please tell me the advantages to a tri-band versus a dual band?? I'm thinking the tri-band will be better in the long run as i progress in the hobby, but i'm not sure. I'm looking at a Yaesu VX-6R.

Great choice! I sent you a PM for the best place to get one. :)

n9zas

PeterGV

K1PGV
Check to see if there IS any 220MHz activity in your area. In most places, there's very, very, little and a dual bander will be better.

Let's back up a second. I'd like to strongly agree with mass-man's advice. Almost everyone gets their license and runs out and buys an HT. Face it: HT;s are cool, they're cute, and who wouldn't WANT one of those little suckers, right? That's what I did, for sure. I bought the TRI-band, Kenwood TH-F6A.

I think I've used it a total of 4 times in 4.5 years. Really. No exaggeration. Never have heard any activity at all on 220.

Seriously consider a mobile. Get a Kenwood TM-V71A for a "simple" 2 band mobile... or if you have the bucks and you want guaranteed amusement right out of the box get a TM-D710A -- that'll let you use APRS and see yourself on the air, even if you don't yet have any ham pals to play radio with.

No matter what you do, having ANY radio is better than having NO radio... so you WILL have some fun.

Best of luck,

Peter
K1PGV

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions. I am probably going to go with the dual band HT after considering price and what i'll actually USE on it. I am going to also set up a mobile, and i'm looking for a decently priced mag mount antenna so i can remove it to get my truck in the garage. Any suggestions?? I already got the mobile. It's a hand-me-down and the price was right (FREE). I think it's kind of a dinosaur, but i'm told it works. It's an Azden PCS-6000H.

Status
Not open for further replies.