Kenwood Display Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Agentblack

Please forgive me, but I am writing this from work and dont have the radio directly in front of me.

However, I have the kenwood dual bander that has the wonderful little problem of the pixels going out on the blue display. I think its the TM-V7 but i could be mistaken.

Does anyone know of anyone that could fix this or would i just be better off tossing the radio in the recycle bin?

I saw an ad on ebay that says you can upgrade the display to a brighter one but not sure if it would fix the dead pixel issue.

Thanks for the help!

mrweather

There was at one time a "secret" warranty that Kenwood offered to original owners of the TM-V7A to repair the pixel issue regardless of age of the radio. If you could prove you were the original and only owner of the radio, you were eligible. If you weren't you were SOL.

I'm not sure if that warranty is still around as that model hasn't been sold by Kenwood in years.

Kenwood has never sold the head as a separate unit so I'm afraid you're only alternative if the above doesn't work is to maybe sell the radio drawer (body) separately and use the proceeds to buy a new radio.

A

Agentblack

ya i bought it used. powered it up and the display was fine when i bought it, but its been in storage and the display is shot.. this stinks :(

A

Agentblack

he wasn't able to help :( says replacing the display was the only fix. well SHUCKS!.

Last ditch effort?

I did this with one of my radios,I put the display on my dash for a few days (in the sun) and it stays working for me so far ,I know this is a little "out there" but it did correct a problem with a bizarre display .Before you spend the green maybe you want to try this.May or may not work.This also works for touch screen phones.
Do so at your own discretion,please.Another idea would be to try resoldering the display,maybe the solder is the new el cheapo environmentally friendly kind.Use a solder -sucker and remove all the old solder then use silver solder.Im a bench tech.I do some pretty strange fixes with electronics,fixed a pcb with a toothbrush and tech cleaner yesterday after it had water damage.Voo-doo electronics!LOL

LtDoc

Isn't the 'TM-V7' one of the radios that the head from a '710 will work with? They do sell then separately as an add-on for other radios, but they are definitely not 'cheap'!
- 'Doc

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Isn't the 'TM-V7' one of the radios that the head from a '710 will work with? They do sell then separately as an add-on for other radios, but they are definitely not 'cheap'!
- 'Doc

It can take the upgraded head, but not as a control head (TNC only apparently). See here: Kenwood RC-D710

mrweather

V7A or V71A?

I'm not aware of any way of using the RC-D710 head on the older V7A. It's a proprietary 4-pin connection marrying the head to the radio (either with the extension kit or directly).

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
V7A or V71A?

I'm not aware of any way of using the RC-D710 head on the older V7A. It's a proprietary 4-pin connection marrying the head to the radio (either with the extension kit or directly).

Well, according to the link I provided and to ads I've read, the RC-D710 head is a full upgrade to the V71A but will add a TNC to the other, older radios so what I was trying to say is that it wouldn't fix the display issue the OP is having (as LtDoc suggested that it might).

Universal Radio said:
Models supported for use of the RC-D710 as an external TNC only (not control head) include: TMD-D710A, TMD-700A, TM-V708, TM-G707A, TM-V7A, TM-733A, TM-255A and TM-455A.

LtDoc

I'd seen the advertisement that the '710 head would work with several of the Kenwood '700' series radios. Naturally, I ASSumed that it would include the V7A. Oh well...
- 'Doc

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I'd seen the advertisement that the '710 head would work with several of the Kenwood '700' series radios. Naturally, I ASSumed that it would include the V7A. Oh well...
- 'Doc

No problem there as I thought the exact same thing until I looked into it. Would've been a nice fix...

mrweather

Well, according to the link I provided and to ads I've read, the RC-D710 head is a full upgrade to the V71A but will add a TNC to the other, older radios so what I was trying to say is that it wouldn't fix the display issue the OP is having (as LtDoc suggested that it might).
Sorry, yes you're right. I misread what you wrote!

Status
Not open for further replies.