Interited antenna and radio stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb104

I have recently inherited some radio/antenna "stuff". This was not the typical "inheritance" where someone died, but I got it after we put my 91 year old grandfather in a new apartment. He was a radioman in WWII on some little island off of the east coast of the African continent. He is still into radio's, and actually holds eight patents for antenna (most of the hummers & tanks have the antenna he designed).

Anyway, enough about this. I have these things to show you all, and ask your input as to what they are, how old they may be, and if they are something people would want.

First, here is a link to my photobucket account with the pictures:
antenne pictures by mb104 - Photobucket

I notice that the connectors appear to be real silver. Many are in packages, still in "new" condition. The photo is of one box, but there are four boxes of them. Probably two hundred or more of them.

The big antenna is a Phelps Dodge model PD-230, and is at least 22 feet long when put together.

The green radio appears to be from a tank or similar military vehicle, probably from the 50's. There is NO sticker or tag with radio info on it.

The low pass filters are still boxed, and wrapped. They are probably from the 50's.

The black box in the plastic may be an antenna tuner, also new and still wrapped. I don't know the decade this is from or what it is worth.

There are also two Pro-am HF mobile antenna's. One is 20 meters and the other is 40 meters, whatever that means. They are still in sealed packages.

DSC_1367.jpg

DSC_1366.jpg

DSC_1364.jpg

DSC_1363.jpg

DSC_1360.jpg

DSC_1359.jpg

DSC_1357.jpg

prcguy

The green radio is an R-442 receiver, 30 to 76MHz FM (wide) in 50KHz tuning increments with 150Hz tone squelch and noise squelch. It looks a little hacked up with non standard knobs and in nice shape these go for about $100.

Did grandpa work for Shakespeare antennas by any chance?
prcguy

mb104

He did not work for Shakespeare antennas. After WWII, he worked for Telerex, then worked for Watson labs, and then went to some electronics place in Marlboro NJ, and then to work for Hexegon for the federal government in Tinton Falls NJ, where he did antenna research and development for tanks, planes, ships and other military vehicles for 30 years. He finished up in Camp Evans in Wall twp. NJ for the last several years doing the same thing. He had some beer can antenna that made the cover of some electronics magazine in the early 1970's, probably 1972.

I did a name search of him a few minutes ago...here is what I got:
http://patent.ipexl.com/inventor/Czerwinski_Watson_P_1.html

Check out this one.....first column, second row:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=04313523

Last edited:

KGIII

No clue but two thoughts... One, it could be a fantastic story. Two, if you don't know then the best source for information is the source for the parts. Besides, he could use a visit I bet. He seems to be interesting from what you shared.

K9WG

1. Seek out you local amateur radio club. They can help you with the equipment.

2. Get your grandfather talking about his experiences and record it! You are looking at living history that all too soon will disappear.

mb104

All antenna's are sold, as well as the antenna tuner. I decided to keep the R-442.

mb104

If a member wants to send me a PM about something I listed here, and the price is right, I will sell it. This was not my intention in the beginning, but it appears that many members were interested, even though they were listed here, and not there. No dishonesty here, but if you have a beef, how about a PM and not a blasting post.

Status
Not open for further replies.