Took the plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimineer

Premium Subscriber
While I still have yet to take the test for my technician class license, I went ahead and purchased a Yaesu FT 817 ND as my first radio. I accept the fact that it only has 5W output power, but the features and bands covered in my opinion really got my attention. I ordered the radio yesterday and hope to have it in a few days. I'll get started just with some listening obviously and plan to get my license soon as I get some time. I have a BSEE and MSEE so studying isn't a big necessity, but I plan to read the ARRL Tech. Class study guide for kicks and rules, etc..

My next purchase will be an antenna, which unfortunately will go in the attic. Will probably also look for a mobile and portable (like an I PRO?).

Anyway, feeling like a kid again.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Good to know you did, you'll have a ton of fun. I'm just setting up my station at my new station and plan to work the bands this summer and really get back into the winter contest season.

Good luck.

Joe

mancow

Database Admin
With your education you might as well study a bit and go for general and extra at the same time.

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Agree...a quick read of the manual or review of the online exams and you should be able to walk away with the General without a problem, and yes more than likely an Extra.

The FT817ND is a very cool radio and will serve you well. It has a good receiver and YES 5 watts will work lots of stations. You just have to pay more attention to when the bands are open. You might check the W4RT www site for some good add-ons. I set of tilt up legs make it easier to operate, the cranker knob helps. The filters are a good investment, and there are others!

Enjoy

AB1ND

Premium Subscriber
I agree also, go for all three tests at the same time. Study up on the band plans and a quick review of the electronic related math and you should have no trouble.

I was an electronics tech for 30+ years and passed all 3 elements at the same sitting, no problem. Get all the tests out of the way at once and enjoy the unlimited access to all bands and all modes.

Once you get the licenses behind you the learning can really begin.

Go for it.

Steve (AB1ND)

Last edited:

Jimineer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone.

Perhaps taking all the exams at once is a good idea. I took a practice exam for the general class license and passed - barely. So I may consider going all the way at first try. Just need to make the time to study.

JnglMassiv

For sure take at least the General exam, it's a piece of cake.
Extra is quite a bit harder but worth a shot.

I have an FT-817ND and my mind still boggles at the DX I've worked at 5 watts or less. You really need your General ticket and a reasonable antenna to get the most out of it.

Jimineer

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any antenna recommendations?
Mine will have to go in my attic :(

AB1ND

Premium Subscriber
5 watts with the antenna in the attic? Man, you are making it hard on yourself! If there is any way at all to move that antenna outside (and the higher the better) you really need to do that.

However, if the attic is all you can do, build a dipole and string it right under the peak of the roof. Avoid any metal pipes or wires as theses will mess up the pattern of the antenna. Wire antennas are a cinch to build and the materials cost very little. Study up on the formulas for length/frequency, measure carefully and you can build an antenna as good or better that anything you could buy.

There is a ton of info on the internet about dipole antennas. Here is a good place to start: The DXZone: ham-radio, shortwave and cb-radio guide and take a look at the antenna section. With CW or digital modes you might do surprisingly well even with a poor antenna. I've talked to a guy who hooked his rig up to his rain gutters and his signal was good even from 2000 miles away. The main thing is to get some kind of an antenna up and start making contacts.

Good luck with that. Build something, get it up and start learning, it's what this hobby is all about.

Steve (AB1ND)

Jimineer

Premium Subscriber
Well I took all 3 tests this past weekend and passed them all. Got my ticket today (at least its in the FCC database). I was surprised it got assigned so quickly.

Jim (AE5YD)

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Well I took all 3 tests this past weekend and passed them all. Got my ticket today (at least its in the FCC database). I was surprised it got assigned so quickly.

Jim (AE5YD)

That is awesome. Hope to work you one day. I'm setting up some antennas when I get a chance and hope to be back on for the contests this fall and winter.

Good luck, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.