Yaesu VX-8DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexxone

Hello everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am a happy owner of a VX-8DR,,,,,,,,,,,,I would like to know, since it is capable of CTCSS, DEC, DCS.

Is this radio capable of listening to EMS services, ( fire, ambulance)
I tried to enter the frequency and tone 118.8 , but on the radio you can see the transmission but NO audio.

or Should I get a pl 25 Scanner fot EMS. tracking.

if my radio is capable of this, i would be happier as I do not have to buy a scanner.

it depends

Depends on where you live.Some towns run analog frequencies like 155.175 for an example...
This you can just put in the VX-8R and listen,you wouldnt need the PL ,just enter the frequency.
Some towns are up on 800 Megahertz ,and are trunked in analog or digital.this you probably then would want to get a scanner for.Sooner or later they will end up trunked (probably) but who knows you could get lucky.Depends really ,if you have the cash,get a nice Uniden Trunk Tracker scanner!

PS : if you see a transmission,you probably have the wrong PL ,shut off CTSSS decode and see if you hear anything.

canav844

Hello everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am a happy owner of a VX-8DR,,,,,,,,,,,,I would like to know, since it is capable of CTCSS, DEC, DCS.

Is this radio capable of listening to EMS services, ( fire, ambulance)
I tried to enter the frequency and tone 118.8 , but on the radio you can see the transmission but NO audio.

or Should I get a pl 25 Scanner fot EMS. tracking.

if my radio is capable of this, i would be happier as I do not have to buy a scanner.
You on tone or tone squelch (ENC/DEC)? Sounds almost like you've got the wrong tone for the frequency, and so the radio is intentionally ignoring it. If they're on the digital radio system you would be hearing something, either modem sounds (P25) or a heavy rush of static.

If you can provide state/county it could be much easier for someone to help confirm the specific settings for you, based on what's in the database.

Something else to remember is many times Multiple EMS agencies will use one frequency with the hospital and multiple tones to differentiate them, so that might be the reason for not hearing anything even if you've selected the proper tone.

lexxone

VX-8dr

Hello again,,,,,,,,thank you for the responser.

I failed to mention.

I am in Brampton , Ontario,, And i would like to hear fire, ambulance.
itried to follow the instruction on this site for PEEL REGION, but unclear as how to input.

i am not sure if my ht radio will hear EMS services.

it is not a scanner.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Ask in Ontario Forum

You might get better answer posting in the Ontario Forum. And as the VX8DR is an amateur radio, you could also talk to some amateur radio operators in your area that would help you out. And the club that helped you get your amateur radio license may also be able to help you.

W2NJS

118.8 is a standard CTCSS tone. Maybe what you're trying to hear does not use that tone, or maybe it's using a DCS rather than a CTCSS, or maybe you've got the wrong tone information. Can you hear the transmission you're looking for without the tone or DPL/DCS turned on? You're going to have to do some isolating and testing, just like you do to test any "circuit." Your Vertex HT may have a tone scan function which you could use to find out the tone, or DCS, if any, being used on the channel.

lexxone

vx8dr programming

Hello,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you for the input, I ahve tried without tone and can hear the tx and voice but it is often one sided and I do not know who it it is.

also I can not find fire or ambluance only police which I am not interested in , I just use them for input practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.