Kenwood AT-250

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5PGE

I have an AT 250 that I use with a TS-430s that is giving me grief in a way that I have never encountered. After I have made all of my connections from the radio to the tuner, I cannot receive. When I was disconnecting the coax from the back of the radio I was able to get great reception as long as the outer barrel portion of the coax connection wasn't making contact with the receiver. In other words, when the pin part of the coax only is making contact, I can get Rx with no problem. I disconnected my antenna coax from the back of the tuner and connected straight to the radio and there was no problem. The condition exists only when the connection is made going through the tuner. I thought that maybe it was an defective diode that is causing a back feed but even that I'm not sure where to start looking. It is obviously a grounding problem. I sure would appreciate any help that I can get in finding a workable solution.

Thanks for your help

Mike

wyomingmedic

You have a short in your coax. That is the common, simple test for determining that. Very common. Do a quick fix and I bet it is good to go. And since you have the trouble through your tuner, I bet there is a jumper from the tuner to the radio? If so, sounds like that is your problem.

WM

KE5PGE

Sometimes the answers are so simple!!

Hey WM,

It never occurred to me to look for a short in the coax. Sometimes I can make the simplest solution the hardest thing to do! I'm up to my butt in alligators and sinking, for the next few days, but when I get a few minutes I'll get the meter out and check for a short. If I remember correctly, I think that I just grabbed a jumper cable that was in a cabinet, it was one of those pre-made ones instead of one that I soldered the ends myself. About half the time those are just junk and I'll just bet that you're dead on in your assessment. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking time out and posting.

Thanks,
'73

Mike, KE5PGE

Status
Not open for further replies.