Best way to install a mobile radio? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmeisenzahl

So I have my first mobile coming in a couple days. It's going to be the Icom 2200 which claims to have a fused DC power cord hanging off the back.

What I think I would like to do is have a proper harness/connector on the end of the cable coming off the back of the radio, and in each of my two cars, a matching connector that is properly wired to the battery and ground.

What is the correct type of connectors that I need?

I think someone had mentioned in another thread the use of PowerPole connectors?

Thanks VERY much again for the advice!

Chris
The Pretense of Knowledge | A Shout-Out To F.A. Hayek …

Ohio_359

Anderson PowerPole connectors are very slick and a little costly, but any of the other brands can be had for just a little less.

I like to tin the wire and then secure both the wire and connector before heating it and melting solder down into it. Some guys just melt solder into the connector and then slowly insert the wire into the solder. Either way works I guess, just don't let any solder run out onto the contact surface of the connector.

fineshot1

So I have my first mobile coming in a couple days. It's going to be the Icom 2200 which claims to have a fused DC power cord hanging off the back.

What I think I would like to do is have a proper harness/connector on the end of the cable coming off the back of the radio, and in each of my two cars, a matching connector that is properly wired to the battery and ground.

What is the correct type of connectors that I need?

I think someone had mentioned in another thread the use of PowerPole connectors?

Thanks VERY much again for the advice!

Chris
The Pretense of Knowledge | A Shout-Out To F.A. Hayek …

Power Pole connectors are ok but i am not a fan of using them in the mobile due to
how easy they pull apart.

I like to use something like these 2 pin molex connectors below.
They have to pushed together and pulled apart with a good tug and
seat well and can be used at the high TX current levels of the ham
and commercial rigs. Of course you will need both genders and
always remember to fuse at the battery to avoid a fire what ever
you use.

2-Position Male Interlocking Connector - RadioShack.com

W2NJS

There is also a round, polarized, two-pin, Jones plug and matching receptacle that I've used on all of my radios for at least the last twenty years. They've become somewhat hard to find, although at time RS carries them in their blister packs. The plugs are also reusable by just unsoldering the wires, and I've found them to be 100% reliable. If you can't find the two-pin units then any three or four-pin Jones plug would do just as well, the point being that you can't plug these things in backwards.

Duster40

The 2200 comes with the typical T connector in the power lead.
All you will need is 2 cables for the 2 vehicles.
The pigtail on the back of the radio is about 4 inches long.

Status
Not open for further replies.