First Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

gprimr1

I am looking for my first HAM radio. I passed the exam on Saturday the 14th :)

I'm looking for a few specific things, and they seem to be fairly mutually exclusive :(

1.) Wide Band Receive. I'd like to be able to replace my scanner and/or AM/FM with my HAM.

2.) Dual Monitor: I am a big train fan, and in a lot of areas, trains talk on two different channels. It would be nice to be able to constantly monitor both of them instead of going back and forth with a scanner. I know I can't talk to them :)

3.) handheld of course.

4.) Pc programable.

I'm liking the VX-3R from Yaseu, but I'm concerned it's only 1.5watts (3 with an external power)

Money is a big issue to take into account. I don't want to drop to much into a hobby I'm just starting. The two features (1,2) would give the unit a dual use I'd feel more comfortable spending on.

I appreciate anyone who can chime in.

LtDoc

One alternative to the 'big name' brands is the 'Wouxun' hand-held. In the neighborhood of half the price, and none of the more 'common' bells-n-whistles, but certainly usable. It can be programmed by it's buttons or by computer (computer program is free and much easier to use). It comes in several 'flavors', usually you can tell the latest by the number in the model name, 'KG-UV3D'. That '3' can also be a '1' or a '2'. Mine's a '2'. None of them are all that 'fancy', but they certainly do work.
- 'Doc

And just as a warning, a hand-held radio isn't the best idea for a 'first radio'. They are all limited in range because of the antenna and output power. Most are more complicated because of that smaller size. But, if that's what 'grabs' you, they will probably just whet your appetite anyway...

Last edited:

gprimr1

I had looked at some car units, but portability is an issue I'm looking for.

I do know some of the car units can be run on batteries though. I might have to look into them. Any recommendations?

Soooo many choices.

N4KVE

I have had great results with the Icom W32. They can be had quite reasonably now & are very easy to program. Dual display which is like 2 complete radios in 1 unit. In my opinion, if you have 1 radio, you get a HT. True it will have weak tx power in the car, but a higher power mobile unit is stuck in the car or house. While a HT would have a limited tx range in the car, it goes with you wherever you are. With the W32 both displays can be VHF, or UHF. Not just 1 of each, which I believe is how the Wouxun would be. The W32 can be programmed with a computer also. I would buy a used W32 over a new Wouxun any day. Well, actually I wouldn't as I already own 2 W32's. GARY N4KVE

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
I have one of the Wouxun radios (KG-UVD1P) and it works great. You can't beat the price of them. You can buy the Yaesu FT-60R for about the same price, but it only monitors 1 band at a time. Like mentioned, the Wouxun is a good radio, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles a name brand would. Plus if you go with these, understand these what are called "throw away" radios as some people call them. If something goes wrong with them, they are pretty much destined for the garbage can, as compared to a name brand you can send back and have it worked on, but these radios are affordable and can get another at a good price. If you want a affordable dual band to start with, get a Wouxun, but if you want a radio that will last a few years, look into a good name brand. Mind you they will cost more, but they last.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Try looking at the Yeasue FT60R nice dual band HT with wide band receive, and you can get it from HRO for under 200 bucks with free shipping.

APTN

yaesu

Any of the Yaesu VX series would likely work well. However, you may have to hunt for the best price.

wyomingmedic

Actually, not all of the VX series will work. The VX-3 for example.

Not many handhelds will do the dual receive.

But if I may offer some advice. I personally do not recommend a handheld as a first radio. If you are only using is as a receiver, sure. But if you actually plan on transmitting and communicating, then no.

I am in central Wyoming where we have extremely high level repeaters that cover thousands of square miles. I can see some of them as I drive around town, but I really cant reliably access them with a handheld. ESPECIALLY while in a vehicle.

And if you always have a crappy signal into the repeater, folks are WAY less likely to talk to you. We have a guy around here who does that. Only uses a HT in his truck. Folks just won't talk to him because it will never work. It is always an exercise in frustration. Constantly having to say, "Try it again, I can't make you out".

So really consider what it is you want to do BEFORE you plunk down the cash.

WM

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
A ht may not be the best for a first radio, but you can make it work, just expect to spend some money. I got a Kenwood 2 meter ht and bought a speaker mic and the DC power cable and an external mag mount antenna for mobile, but for home, I built a copper J pole antenna. This makes nice for a portable mobile/base radio, but the downfalls on this include that you only have 5 watts max power, compared to 50+ watts high power in a mobile unit if needed. Another thing with todays ht radios is the SMA connector...these can wear out fast and break easy and of course limited use due to limited battery time, unless you use a battery eliminator or DC cord to allow use on car battery or home power supply for extended use.

Im not saying don't buy one, but don't buy one and depend on it as your primary radio. I would recommend a Wouxun dual band. You can buy the radio and all the accessories for under $200

Status
Not open for further replies.