what a crummy day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimineer

Premium Subscriber
Anytime I have to deal with Windows or a Windows PC I go crazy. So I bought this stupid CT-62 cable for $36 so I can use HRD with my new Yaesu 817. I had a 10 year old PC in the closet that I figured I'd just pull out of the closet and use its serial port. No harm having an extra computer in the shack, right. Heck the darn thing even has a floppy drive.

Well I spent all day trying to get the stinking Windows XP on this thing to obtain an IP address automatically from my gateway (AT&T Uverse) but after hours on the phone with ATT tech support no luck.

So I abort that idea, download HRD onto my Mac and use a memory stick to put HRD on my old PC. The CT-62 came via UPS today which was good so I thought I'll just plug that cable into my serial port and I'll be up and running my Yaesu. Well I'll be ******* but it doesn't even have a serial port on it - yet it has a floppy drive. I didn't think to look at it first. Stupid me.

So what the heck is Yaesu doing if a stinking ancient PC doesn't even have a serial port on it? Have these jokers ever heard of USB before? Does anyone even sell a computer these days with a serial port.

Anyway, off to Best Buy I guess to spend another $20 on a serial card for my old PC. Probably by that time the power supply will crap out, then the whole thing is going to the gun range with me.

Thank God for Macs and Mac OS. I just hope my Yaesu radio is more like a Mac and not a PC, or it will be going for a ride as well.

N4KVE

Cheer up. I too was looking for a laptop with a serial port. Turns out on one of the local gun nets there was guy selling some Dell laptops that were a few years old. XP, 4 USB's, 1 serial, CD/DVD drive 40 meg HD, 2 gig Intel etc. $150, & works great. We did a FTF, & I was so happy, I took 2. Just look around. GARY N4KVE

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
I don't see this as a MAC vs PC thing. It's a simple fact that PC hardware manufacturers have decided that serial is dead for the average PC user. That may be true. However, the truth is serial is still used on a lot of equipment. The HVAC guy for the building I used to work in said they had to special order laptops with serial ports. All 'real' Cisco devices pretty much require console serial for initial config. USB to serial works for most modern software. A lot of these usb radio control cables are actually USB to Serial adaptors with RS232 to TTL controllers built in. Really 2 adapters in one. Example. GRE cables can use generic usb to serial drivers.

Wait til you realize PCI is killed off too. That much more prematurely IMO.

Last edited:
I'll second the Keyspan, I haven't found any instance of it not working properly. I originally installed it in my Vista laptop and last year upgraded to W7 Pro and the HS19 didn't missa beat. I will offer a bit of advice if you have multiple USB ports on your computer allways plug the device into the same port, if you use another port the computer will try to install a new driver install and that is not a good thing.

K

kb0nly

Isn't the Keyspan using a FTDI chipset? I believe so but could be wrong. I don't trust nothing but FTDI chipset based adapters, the only ones that truly work universal because they are like a hardware port to the device connected, not just a fake serial port to convert the data on the TXD and RXD lines.

Oh by the way since the OP made it a PC vs Mac discussion.... Does your Mac have serial? Never seen a Mac with serial, so thats a moot point.. LOL

I used FTDI chipset based converter boxes that are USB to 2 serial ports. Haven't had an issue yet with radios, scanners, you name it.

Status
Not open for further replies.