Yaesu: cannot receive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from Oz ,, I bought a new unopened radio. A Yaesu FT 1802M vhf fm transciever.

I installed it correctly with a 2mtr "Ringo" antenna and correct power supply..

My brother loaded it with several repeater station info ,Etc.

My problem is ,, I cannot receive.

Transmit is perfect ,

My friends tell me they hear me perfectly.

It locks onto a station and I hear distorted scratchy voice, sometimes understanding --no signal strength bars at all. on receive. 5-7 bars on transmit.

I bought this second hand ,brand new ,don't know how long it's been since the factory sold it.

Thank You

VK4FBDU

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is your PL decode turned on?
Will it receive NOAA weather?

n9zas

N8IAA

Do you have it in CTCSS mode? Does the signal meter show that you are receiving? Might want to check.
Larry

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My bad! I wasn't thinking about that. :lol:

n9zas

not receiving

Do you have it in CTCSS mode? Does the signal meter show that you are receiving? Might want to check.
Larry

Thanks Larry and others ..

I'm new to this ,,just got my licence and bought this transciever..

Someone else said something about the ctcss and the squelch function --no "s" meter ,,it's all lcd window .. no receive strength bars come up at all.

Please explain in detail about whether the ctcss function would block receive audio and how would I alter this to get audio??

I'm fairly sure it's me , operator incompetence, but I'll learn..

Thanks

Bruce

N8IAA

Do you see the frequencies that your brother programmed in for you? If you can, Yaesu has two separate squelch settings. One by the volume knob, and another in the settings Menu. It may be turned up to high and is acting like an attenuator knocking down the receive signal. It will be explained in the manual. But, just in case, Bruce, since it is supposedly a "new" radio, register the warranty. Then see where you could send it for warranty repair. It should cost you just the shipping. The problem with buying ham radios, is that they don't seal the boxes. You don't know if the radio was used or not. There should be a toll free number that you could call Yaesu about the problem, or e-mail them. Hopefully, it will work out OK for you.
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Larry.

We have altered the squelch level as in the manual , sort of positioned it's level to half way on the scale(digital). Still no receive.just "Garble" sometimes understanding a few words..

Warranty,,, I'll go into that as you mentioned ,I bought it off a guy who bought it off a guy , if u know what I mean? so there could be a problem ..

Thanks

Bruce

K

kb0nly

Garbled? But it shows on the s-meter bars that its receiving a good signal or not? Does the garbled audio have a lot of static? If you transmit nearby on another radio does it receive ok?

I know the transmit works ok but still suspect an antenna problem unless you checked SWR and such and ruled that all out.

Also try doing a full reset, and then just setting it to the frequency of a local repeater in VFO mode, can you hear it now? If so then it was a programming error. Could be the frequency was off a bit causing it to sound garbled.

Other than that i have seen plenty of the 1802's and haven't heard of any major malfunctions like you describe. I do know one guy that had a problem with the diode that protects the receiver being popped by a nearby lightning strike and the radio was severely deaf, but not garbled on receive.

What if you open the squelch all the way so you hear noise, can you then hear someone when they talk?

If nothing else call Yaesu!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If this radio has changed hands a couple times there is probably a problem with it and they just passed that problem on to you (this is common on ebay and craigslist). Your best bet, like someone else stated, is to send it to Yaesu for repair.

Hi Crew, thanks for all the help so far ..

I put the radio back into service on my bench yesterday after giving up on it last few weeks..

Still no intelligent audio,just garbled voice sometimes.
no s bars on receive at all

tx is ok full bars
have squelch turned "OFF" in menu
I hear the local fm radio station ,garbled,and weak.

have opened it up for a look for hot or burnt bits ,all looks ok .
heard that usa weekly amateur radio broadcast perfectly last sunday from the states.. strange , i heard that ..??? so that must mean the audio is working ..???

maybe i have to look inside the progamming to switch something on or alter some setting ???

Thanks

Bruce.

N8IAA

Hi Crew, thanks for all the help so far ..

I put the radio back into service on my bench yesterday after giving up on it last few weeks..

Still no intelligent audio,just garbled voice sometimes.
no s bars on receive at all

tx is ok full bars
have squelch turned "OFF" in menu
I hear the local fm radio station ,garbled,and weak.

have opened it up for a look for hot or burnt bits ,all looks ok .
heard that usa weekly amateur radio broadcast perfectly last sunday from the states.. strange , i heard that ..??? so that must mean the audio is working ..???

maybe i have to look inside the progamming to switch something on or alter some setting ???

Thanks

Bruce.

Bruce, not sure what frequency your local FM broadcast station is on, but if it is normal FM, 87.9-107.9. That radio has been seriously tampered with:confused::confused: It either needs to be sent to Yaesu for repairs, or you're SOL. Do you personally know the seller? I'd ask him what the deal was. Maybe you could get your money back.
HTH,
Larry

Thanks friendly and helpfull Crew --I fixed it

Narrowed the receive bandwith and it now works fine ..

What a learning curve... never mind ..

Thanks to this forum ,,

Bruce -

Hi Friends,,

OK, I changed to "narrow bandwidth" and the receiver audio is now working ..

But, the yaesu factory setting is "wide bandwidth" ..

Now , my question is --why would the radio reception NOT work on wide bandwidth,, and why does it work on narrow bandwidth ?.. I'm not up to scratch with this area of theory..

I'm asking here to educate myself --long way for me to go ,yet.

Thanks forum

Bruce

N8IAA

Hi Friends,,

OK, I changed to "narrow bandwidth" and the receiver audio is now working ..

But, the yaesu factory setting is "wide bandwidth" ..

Now , my question is --why would the radio reception NOT work on wide bandwidth,, and why does it work on narrow bandwidth ?.. I'm not up to scratch with this area of theory..

I'm asking here to educate myself --long way for me to go ,yet.

Thanks forum

Bruce

Bruce, in regards to my post above, somebody made adjustments to the radio internally. Have you asked the previous owner what was done? Or, maybe send it to Yaesu for an evaluation? It might end up being to expensive to fix, or not. I realize you want to get on the radio and ragchew. Not much else unless you know a radio technician who can check the radio out.
HTH,
Larry

Thanks larry,,

It was on the factory default "wide bandwidth"

It has not been interfered with at all..

I'm now enquiring about why it does not work on the factory bandwidth--- works on narrow bandwidth..

Thanks
Bruce

AB4RT

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu FT-1802M - Will Not Receive On WIDE

I just troubleshoot a FT-1802M with this problem. It turned out to be CF1002 - the wide deviation crystal filter. The pin diodes will switch the signal to it, but it will not pass through the filter. The pin diodes and transistors are all working. Replcaing this filter requires removing the main board. It is one of the few thru-hole components present. CF1001 is the narrow deviation crystal filter.

Robert
AB4RT

Thank You very much , Robert..

If I just leave it in narrow bandwidth , will that stop the receivers performance ,,cause it receives in narrow bandwidth ..

I could try and get the replacement filter part ,, and i'll look at the Cct..

Thanks a lot

Bruce.

Yes, but I'm still using narrowband receive. Probably will wait to see if I can getpart first and then pull it down and replace the part

Thanks for the post

Bruce. VK4FBDU..

Status
Not open for further replies.