Tm 271 a

Status
Not open for further replies.

aboversite

Hello. I am struggling a little to get my radio setup properly. I downloaded a number of simplex frequencies to the receiver using the MCP-1A software. The Rx side works fine but when I push to talk the mic beeps at me.

Here's a dumb question. Does the VFO frequency need to be the same as the frequency I am putting into Memory?

I also tried entering a frequency directly using the radio controls, same result. The Rx. works but no Tx. Not sure I did that part right. I found the manual very confusing.

Thanks for any suggestions....
Collin

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.534 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Let me guess, the frequencies you are trying to transmit on donot fall between 144.000 and 148.000 do they?

mrweather

Yeah, the beeping when you key the mic means you're trying to transmit out-of-band.

aboversite

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.534 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Let me guess, the frequencies you are trying to transmit on donot fall between 144.000 and 148.000 do they?

Actually one freq. does and the mic works on that one. OK so what is it I don't know that I should?

The frequencies I want to enter range from 138.000 to 171.000

collin

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
The TM-271 is an amateur radio only and although you can receive outside the 2 m band, you can only transmit within it (144.000 to 148.000 MHz). If you have a legitimate need to TX elsewhere, you'll need a radio specifically made for the VHF-hi band. Either way, you'll need a license to use it.

aboversite

The TM-271 is an amateur radio only and although you can receive outside the 2 m band, you can only transmit within it (144.000 to 148.000 MHz). If you have a legitimate need to TX elsewhere, you'll need a radio specifically made for the VHF-hi band. Either way, you'll need a license to use it.

Thanks,

I guess I wasted $150.. I need to have a pgrogrammable radio for driving on radio controlled resource roads. The frequencies are all over the map as the roads are controlled by a multitude of companies. Guess I'll try ebay. The local radio company wants $600+ for these units.

Collin

N8IAA

Hello. I am struggling a little to get my radio setup properly. I downloaded a number of simplex frequencies to the receiver using the MCP-1A software. The Rx side works fine but when I push to talk the mic beeps at me.

Here's a dumb question. Does the VFO frequency need to be the same as the frequency I am putting into Memory?

I also tried entering a frequency directly using the radio controls, same result. The Rx. works but no Tx. Not sure I did that part right. I found the manual very confusing.

Thanks for any suggestions....
Collin

What frequencies are you trying to input to the radio? If they fall outside the 2m (144-148MHz) range as mentioned, the radio will not transmit. You will receive anything in the receive range quite well. I'm not part of the radio police, but, do you have a valid Canadian amateur license to use the radio the way it is intended to use? I'm guessing not by the questions you are asking. You would know what the difference between simplex and repeater frequencies in the ham bands.
Just wondering,
Larry

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I do agree .. I think we have found the problem and from what I gather the OP does not have an amateur license to operate the radio between 144 and 148 as required.

Maybe he can clarify that for us ?

aboversite

I do agree .. I think we have found the problem and from what I gather the OP does not have an amateur license to operate the radio between 144 and 148 as required.

Maybe he can clarify that for us ?

I got one back in the early 70's when I worked for the DOT in Canada. Not sure if they ever expire and I sure couldn't prove it to anyone.

Collin

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks,

I guess I wasted $150.. I need to have a pgrogrammable radio for driving on radio controlled resource roads. The frequencies are all over the map as the roads are controlled by a multitude of companies. Guess I'll try ebay. The local radio company wants $600+ for these units.

Collin

Hi Collin, I work in the oilpatch and I strongly suggest getting a proper mobile to use on the logging/oil roads. If you search on Ebay you can find a decent radio for alot less than $600. I am guessing, based on your location, that you are going to need WillowCreek, North Haul, South Haul, Robb Road channels, and maybe a few others. Ham gear is not the way to go. Industry Canada does do periodic checks of trucks. I am not going to get into the issues of licencing but forsure a ham mobile is not approprate for what you want to use it for. Although the radio is $150 it is not the way to go, use a proper radio for what you want to do

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The good news, is that you can sell the TM-271, and recoup most of your money.

I don't know IC's regulations, but know they are similar to the FCC regulations, that I am more familiar with.

You will need a TK series VHF high-band radio, if you want to stay with the Kenwood brand. You also need the proper permissions to talk on those frequencies, either under the current licensee, or your own license.

aboversite

Hi Collin, I work in the oilpatch and I strongly suggest getting a proper mobile to use on the logging/oil roads. If you search on Ebay you can find a decent radio for alot less than $600. I am guessing, based on your location, that you are going to need WillowCreek, North Haul, South Haul, Robb Road channels, and maybe a few others. Ham gear is not the way to go. Industry Canada does do periodic checks of trucks. I am not going to get into the issues of licencing but forsure a ham mobile is not approprate for what you want to use it for. Although the radio is $150 it is not the way to go, use a proper radio for what you want to do

Thanks for all the responses. I'm on the right track now.

As far as the issue of transmitting on these resource road frequencies, my uninformed opinion would be that if I am authorized to be on a particular road and I see a road sign saying "Switch to xxxx frequency and call every km.", then that company is authorizing me to transmit on their frequency. Beat's the hell out of being surprised by a 70ton log truck.

Collin

mrweather

Does that mean you need a frequency agile radio? That will be difficult most affordable commercial gear.

If you want to stay with Kenwood I'd highly recommend a TK-790. Built like a tank and designed to take abuse. And you can find used ones for not a whole lot more than what you paid for the 271A. Only downside is you'll need to get a hold of the programming software (KPG-44D) and programming cable, or find someone who'll do it for you.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Yes it does, he pretty much needs a radio that will T/Rx from 150Mhz-174Mhz, the resource road channels fall all over the place, literally. For NW Alberta and NE BC where my company works there are around 80-100 different radio channels in use. So he is going to need a radio, depending where he is working with a minimum 128ch's

com501

Buy a Bendix-King GMH mobile with a smart mike. Programmable from the mike, and will hold hundreds of channels. 50watts, 136-174.

WV8VFD

Kinda reminds me of Ice Road Truckers. You see lots of ham gear on there that they use when talking to dispatch. Mostly Alincos

Status
Not open for further replies.