Kenwood TM-V71A Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am thinking about buying a Kenwood TM-V71A and am interesting in hearing from anyone here that has one ? The other radio I am considering is the Yaesu FT-8800R. I have a Yaesu FT-2900R and love it .. but I am looking for a dual band radio. The radio I get will be used as a base radio. Any opinions pro/con are appreciated.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The V71 is a good radio. I have one that I use at home. No problems.

If you ever decide to get into APRS, you can convert a V71 to a D710 by buying the RC-D710 head. The V71 and D710 use the same RF deck. The TNC and APRS features are built into the D710 control head.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I've had mine for 2 1/2 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it, both mobile and as a base. When mobile though, I use an external speaker that's quite bigger than the internal one but I could probably get by fine. I just like the "bigger" sound the external speaker offers (old Motorola unit).

I also like the fact that the mic hang-up button is metal and so it'll last longer. About my only complaint is the RJ-45 type mic plug, without a strain relief boot. I just don't like those connectors but alas, that's how most modern radios are nowadays.

SCPD

QRT
I actually was able to look at the radio today (another ham had it in his truck). It appeared to be a nice radio .. I am still not totally decided on what I should do. I really just want 70 cm .. as I already have a Yaesu FT-2900 which I really like. So I just need the 70 cm coverage ... I may actually go and get a UHF radio .. and use it along with my Yaesu. It is a tough decision as to what I should do .. ?

SCPD

QRT
I am actually now considering getting an Icom 2820H radio as compared to the Kenwood TM-V71A (I know my thoughts change but I have been talking to some of my fellow hams and am researching my options) .. . as well it would give me the opportunity to get DStar in the future. I cannot justify the DStar module at this time, but I think that the upgradability to DStar is something I am considering.

I am looking for opinions on the Icom 2820 ?

BTW .. is it possible to change the NAME of this thread to reflect my changing situation / opinion ?

SCPD

QRT
Just wanted to point out the V71A has 50w output on both bands. I'm considering the V71a myself. I'm actually interested in the voice storage and playback mode.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The voice storeage and playback is an option, that doesn't come standard, just the chance you didn't know.

These are good rigs, very easy to learn and use. Only down side for me is the internal speaker is weak and tinty sounding. Even for a base setup I put it on a Motorola desktray with speaker. Sounds awesome now. I use one mobile also, nothing but good reports.

mrweather

I'll echo everything good that's been said about the V71A. I've had mine about 18 months and it's performed flawlessly both in the car and in the shack.

But I will agree the internal speaker is quite weak. When installed in the car I plug in a Kenwood KES-4 speaker and THEN there's plenty of audio!

W5KVV

I have the 71a in my mobile & im pleased with it to the fullest. Im still new at ham & I didnt even need the manual to set up the radio. Very user friendly IMO. I have two external speakers, one for 2M one for 70cm. I suggest splitting the audio up if you want to hear both sides clearly. More so if it's going to be a mobile radio.

Very good radio. Love mine.

ve9jmc

Feed Provider
I also have the V71A. I will say that I absolutely love this radio. I use it as my base. So i have made all the cables needed to program it with the software provided from the Kenwood site as well as the cables for echo link. i also live that if I want to do packet or any modes like that I don't need to have a separate TNC. The audio is a little weak out of the internal speaker. but with dual audio output plugs. Plugging in external speakers makes it all so much better. The only flaw I have noticed in the radio so far is that if you are really close to commercial repeaters especially digital ones then you may have to turn on your VHF AIP in order to keep the digital repeater from blanking out the VHF amateur band. Myself I have a digital commercial repeater less than 1/4 mile away and on a frequency of 143.610 and without the VHF AIP turned on it completely wipes out everything from 144-148 MHz. but overall I wouldn't complain with the radio at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.