Messed up During mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieseltwitch

Hello,
I need some quick help. While I was doing the mars mod to my radio (VX-8DR) the iron slipped and took out another SMR (surface mounted resistor), I have been unable to locate it and need help. I found a source for SMR but I am unsure as to what type to get. its hard to compare pictures to the internet but i think it is a 0603... on the radio it is one of the very small black ones. Any ideas? I will post a picture ASAP.

Thank you for any help

ve9jmc

Feed Provider
I don't have 1 of those radios but i would suggest trying to find either a service manual with schematics in it or sometimes you might be able to get the schematics without the service manual. that is the best i can suggest. the only other thing i could suggest is to look on the board nest to where the surface mounted resistor was and see if there was a number beside it. then fire a message off to the service center asking what resistor is.

Good luck with the searching. Hopefully someone may have the information you are looking for.

dieseltwitch

Thank you for your quick response. However there are so many SMR on this thing that none of them are marked..... :-(

I'm looking for a service manual but have not found as of yet (any ideas where I might find one)

I have uploaded a picture of my other VX-8DR internals and have pointed to the SMR that was taken out. Hope this helps a little with clearing up my problem.

Thank you all again

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 2,689

LtDoc

If you can't find the schematic you need, then an alternative is to send the thing to the manufacturer for repair. Ooo, that's an expensive thought, so use your own discretion. If you don't have the proper equipment/tools and experience to work on SMT stuff, the absolute best advice is -don't-! I think you've found out 'why'?
- 'Doc

K9WG

... snip ... If you don't have the proper equipment/tools and experience to work on SMT stuff, the absolute best advice is -don't-! I think you've found out 'why'?
- 'Doc
As one who has worked with SMT for many years, I 101% agree with Doc! SMT requires a low temperature small tip soldering iron, good eyesight, and a very steady hand.

mancow

Database Admin
It appears as though it's a resistor. Go get a DVM at RadioShack and measure that existing good part to get a value.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
While modding an older scanner, I accidentally unsoldered the wrong SMT resistor. I actually did get it soldered back on securely, but it wasn't pretty.

My SMT "iron": I took a short length of stiff copper hookup wire, cut one end to a pointy 45 degree angle, and wrapped the other end tightly around the tip of my iron.

Another potential option: solder the leads of an equivalent 1/8 watt resistor in its place, assuming you can fit everything back together.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hello,
I need some quick help. While I was doing the mars mod to my radio (VX-8DR) the iron slipped and took out another SMR (surface mounted resistor), I have been unable to locate it and need help. I found a source for SMR but I am unsure as to what type to get. its hard to compare pictures to the internet but i think it is a 0603... on the radio it is one of the very small black ones. Any ideas? I will post a picture ASAP.

Thank you for any help

Send it back to yaesu for repair,and don't attempt this on any more equipment unless you have sufficient SMT soldering and tech skills. A well equipped ROHS tech bench will also include grounded equipment and a tech who is familiar with IPC 610 standards.
Sorry,but this stuff should be left to seasoned pros to do. :)

n9zas

WouffHong

Mod troubles

Hello,

Thank you for any help

IF you are a licensed Ham, and can send us a PM or message with your verifiable Ham Call, more help may emerge. ;)

Da Wouff....

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Verification of their ham license before providing help with a MARS/CAP mod, which on Yaesu radios opens up Tx for a whole lot more than just MARS/CAP? Now that's irony. :D

Back to the topic at hand: I happen to own a VX-8R. If it were me, given the cost of the radio...I'd suck it up and send it back to Yaesu for repair. I wouldn't chance it, personally.

WouffHong

Irony? Nahh...

Verification of their ham license before providing help with a MARS/CAP mod, which on Yaesu radios opens up Tx for a whole lot more than just MARS/CAP? Now that's irony. :D

Oh, get with the program, OM - not ironical , but assessing modifier's LEGAL usage. :roll:

It is legal to use that radio on MARS and probably CAP, but it is the integrity of the USER to restrict use out-of-ham-band transmissions TO those permitted frequencies ONLY and no other out-of-band usages whatsoever. :roll: :roll:

What you are indirectly saying is that cars should have governors because cars go faster that speed limits - :D :D --

(i.e. If an illegal capability exists, it WILL be used!?) :twisted:

Wouff

Former base operator of AA1WAS MARS station back in the distant past. ;-)

Most of the SMT "resistor" are zero ohm jumpers. Chances are Yaesu will return it to it's unmodified state.

Just for the record there is NO amateur radio legal for CAP; all radios MUST be NTIA compliant and operate in narrow band mode in addition CAP uses P25 and AES will soon be implemented.

n5ims

Most of the SMT "resistor" are zero ohm jumpers. Chances are Yaesu will return it to it's unmodified state.

Per the OP, the issue was that while making the mod they not only removed the mod resister, they removed another unrelated one, causing unknown and unreported damage to the radio. It sounds like they want to keep the radio moded, but want to know what is needed to replace the one that was supposed to remain in the radio after the mod was completed.

dieseltwitch

Wow lots more help then i was really expecting! thank you all. I'm a little hesitant to hand out my call because i'm not sure of the repercussions of getting caught doing the mars mod? I am now planning on sending it to get it fixed I have gear eye sight but my nick name is not "dieseltwitch" for nothing.

From what i have read Im getting that the SMT is just a jumper? so just having a small metal jumper soldered into place would work or leaving it open might work, little confused here? Sorry for so many newbie questions.

I know that this should be left to the pros.... I just don't know any, and the best way to learn (for me) is to screw up.

I know some one is asking why did I even want to do the mod in the first place. Its purely for safety, I snowmobile back country and have gotten stuck more then once where I have to call for help. being that there are not to many HAM ridding back country I have found that FRS users are every where. so being able to talk on HAM bands and FRS bands is a matter of life and death for me. I did it to one radio before with no problems and it has already saved my life

Having old tired eyes I needed a resistor jumper removed and it was crowded where it was located, I dropped by a local independent cellular repair place he removed it put it in a plastic bag and charged me $10.00.

LtDoc

I would very much -NOT- take it for granted that the 'goofed' chip was only a 'jumper'!! That's just not a very good 'bet', and you are taking a chance of doing even more damage. Don't mess with it, send it for repair.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.