Repeater voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ok, I have heard this repeater voice WD4AM The future of ham fm repeaters - YouTube and wanted to know if it is software or hardware synthesis, and if it is software, what is the name of it. Thanks in advance.

Some repeater controllers are equipped with onboard speech chips or preprogrammed messages. I personally don't like repeaters that babble more by themselves than when actually in use. A good old fashioned cwid is much easier to listen to then up to 90 seconds of blah once every hour or more often if in beacon mode!
Cat and nhrc are notorious for these.

n9zas

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Some repeater controllers are equipped with onboard speech chips or preprogrammed messages. I personally don't like repeaters that babble more by themselves than when actually in use. A good old fashioned cwid is much easier to listen to then up to 90 seconds of blah once every hour or more often if in beacon mode!
Cat and nhrc are notorious for these.

n9zas

Plus, voice ID's annoy me because there's not really a way to tone squelch them. Most experienced repeater owners in my area use CW ID, but when the machine is ID'ing, it doesn't pass the PL tone so if you have tone squelch turned on for that memory channel, you won't hear it ID'ing. Just kind of seems like a lot of unnecessary noise otherwise.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Plus, voice ID's annoy me because there's not really a way to tone squelch them. Most experienced repeater owners in my area use CW ID, but when the machine is ID'ing, it doesn't pass the PL tone so if you have tone squelch turned on for that memory channel, you won't hear it ID'ing. Just kind of seems like a lot of unnecessary noise otherwise.

True. Depending on the controller and its setting choices, the voice id's can be set with the pl on/off ,also many of these voice announcements can be "killed" by simply keying on them with the correct pl causing the repeater to cwid instead.
I don't care much for our area repeaters that blab more by themselves,than when in use. :evil:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.