Mobile Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesedoff

I am looking for a new mobile and I am trying to determine the best options out their. I have been looking at the icom 2820h but I have heard mixed reviews. I am open to all ideas but I would like to know from people who have this mobile as well as other mobiles their opinions of them. Your input is valued in this matter as this is going to be an investment for me. I have also looked at the Yeasu but not as closely.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Which features are important to you? Do you want remote-head capability?

W2NJS

One of the Icom dualbanders (I forget which one) doesn't do alpha tags, so there's one place to start. I've used 208s for many years with no problems whatsoever. If you don't need/want dual display then the 208 would be my recommendation.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kind of a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge question. Ask 5 people and you'll get at least 6 different opinions.

What I've found makes the biggest difference to me, is ease of programming. If you've never owned a ham transceiver before then you are likely going to pick up whatever you choose and stick to it. For me, I started off back in the late 80's/early 90's and my first radio was a Yaesu. While I've owned Icom and Kenwood, I personally prefer the Yaesu. Just my opinion, not saying they are better than another, just want I am most comfortable with.

Look closely at what you need. I'd recommend NOT getting hung up on transmit output power. That makes such little difference, yet they hype it so much. The difference between a 50 watt 2 meter radio and a 75 watt 2 meter radio are going to be hard to notice at the other end.

I prefer simple radios. Much easier to adjust while driving. Also, look for good solid mobile microphones. One of my pet peeves with Yaesu is their flimsy mic's. Most Kenwood's have nice microphones, again, my opinion only.

Cheesedoff

Thanks for the very good insights everyone. I will continue to look and see what I need and go from their. I will post at a later date with what I decide on.

I will keep in mind that Yeasu is spelled Yaesu.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you live near one of the amateur radio stores, like HRO, AES, etc, drop by and take a look at them up close. After a few minutes I'll be you find a favorite.

Personally, I've started steering towards Kenwoods just because of the nicer microphones.

Cheesedoff

I have access to an icom 2820h and a kenwood. I will need to sit down one day and just fiddle with them to see which one I like.

LtDoc

I agree, the best option you can have is sitting down in front of the various radios and seeing which you like the best, can live with the easiest, which one is "you", you know? That's also the hardest way of going about it if there's no one or place around to try out stuff.
I like Kenwood radios so my advice would 'lean' in that direction. You decide though, I'll bet we aren't the same or have the same 'likes'.
- 'Doc

(And as everybody knows, if you ain't got Kenwood, you really do have squat. .. couldn't resist that either :).)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have access to an icom 2820h and a kenwood. I will need to sit down one day and just fiddle with them to see which one I like.
Good plan.

I have an Icom IC-2720 along with three Kenwood mobiles (two TM-D710s and a TM-V71). For the past 20 years, I've owned a long line of Kenwood mobiles, so I am very familiar with them. This is my second Icom mobile. My preference is still for the Kenwoods.

Also, I recently sat down in front of a Yaesu FT-8800 for the first time. Just finding the radio's power switch was not intuitively obvious to me. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.