Just graduated to VHF and HF in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trprc

Hi Guys,

I wrote the VHF 30 MHz and above exam and scored above the passing mark (88%) for HF 30 Mhz and below, so I am licensed to use both. I am happy about this since it's a tough exam.

You have to score 80% and above from 100 questions out of a bank of 1000, but I made it first shot.

Will be building my J Pole antenna soon for my Icom 2200h.

Looking forward to making Radio contact with some of you guys here.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Great job on the exam.:) I'm planing to write my exam soon and I hope I get over 80%. If I don't I'll either write the exam again or try get 5 w.p.m. on Morse Code.

Trprc

Thanks Rt169Radio and Git-R-Done for the compliments, its great not to be studying all day and all night now :)

Scannerboy01, I wish you good luck. I don't know how tough the exam will be for you in AB, I think for the most part it will be the same nationwide.

You can go to Industry Canada Gvt website here Amateur Certification - Fact Sheet - Spectrum Management and Telecommunications
and look up all the info on the certification.

There is an exam template which is cool, you can download it and do any amount of mock exams. They use the real examination questions for the most part but you have to do over 50 plus exams to get the full bank of 1000 questions.

Most which I failed were regulatory questions which were not logical questions and which I did not see on the mock exam.

I did the mock exams many many times and when i kept hitting an average score of 90% plus, I decided to write the exams. My background is of an electronic nature so I had that covered. I studied for four days until late at nights and passed not just the first level but the second.

If you are only concerned about VHF then it will be a bit easier to pass, you need just 70%

Cheers and good luck.

scannerboy01

Thanks, Trprc. You're lucky that you know quite a bit about electronic stuff. I've tried the Industry Canada practice exams and I'm pretty good at the regulatory questions.

Trprc

No problem Scannerboy, look for this book in your local public library or purchase it for 26 bucks RAC Study Guide for the Basic Exam 7th 0r 8th edition.

All you need to understand and learn is basic electronics. It will be quite handy to learn and it really makes the operation, science and magic like structure of Radio more interesting.

It will help you a lot as a HAM radio operator, you will be able to appreciate so much more around you if you understood some basic electronic theory.

That study guide covers everything you need to know to pass your exams but you need not study the entire book cover to cover. You will be able to identify what the examination requirements and study them.

What you can do is to make notes in a book of what you are weak in and study those over and over, I highly recommend that book.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I actually own The Canadian Amateur Radio Basic Qualifications Study Guide 8th edition and I am taking a basic qualifications course that the local amateur radio club is offering. This book is the study material that they use.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The exam is the same everywhere in Canada. No different in BC as ONT as AB as Sask. Good luck scannerboy and congrats trprc

Trprc

I actually own The Canadian Amateur Radio Basic Qualifications Study Guide 8th edition and I am taking a basic qualifications course that the local amateur radio club is offering. This book is the study material that they use.

OK thats great, you will pass, you are on the right track.

Trprc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The exam is the same everywhere in Canada. No different in BC as ONT as AB as Sask. Good luck scannerboy and congrats trprc

Thanks Kayn.

Yes I agree, the exam has to be the same, rules will not be provincial for something of this nature.

Trprc

Just got my Icom 2200H

Nice Radio, have to build an antenna for it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.