Kenwood: Kenwood TM-281A Help storing PL tones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkoser

Hello,

I have been a lurker for quite some time, but now have just joined. Thank you for all the info so far, I greatly appreciate it.

I just bought a new Kenwood TM-281A.

I'm attempting to store an odd-split repeater tx / rx frequency. This repeater has different TX and RX PL tones.

1. Is there a way to store the separate PL tones for each TX and RX frequency to memory?

2. Is there a way to program those specific memory channels to default to automatically default to "tone on" when you select that memory channel?

3. If it is not possible to store separate PL tones, can you default the RX to be open, and only transmit a PL tone with the TX frequency?

Right now, I can get it to work, but each time I change memory channels, or stop scanning, and go to my repeater frequency, I have to first turn the tone "on" and then select the tone frequency. I have to do this each time I tune to that memory channel... It is frustrating me.

I can't imagine that you can't store those PL tones, and have it default to "tone on" when you select that memory channel, but I haven't figured it out yet. The manual doesn't specifically say whether you can do this or not.

I appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thank you very much,

MK

KJ4OHY

Premium Subscriber
My first radio was a ken wood tm-271a. If it's anything like it's predecessor, you would need to set the tones in VFO mode before you save the frequency into memory. Once you do, the memory channel will lock in the tone so whenever you go to that particular channel, your tones will be there. Not sure about the 281, but on the 271, you could not have a separate tone for tx and rx. however if you set the tone setting to TONE, the tone will only be on tx and rx will be open. Hope this helps!

mkoser

Thanks for the reply.

I think I've tried just that. My problem is that if I "turn on" the tone for the channel, it works just fine. As soon as I select another channel, and then go back to my repeater channel, the tone turns itself off, and the tone I had selected defaults back to the first selectable tone. I've ordered a programming cable, and will try to program it with the software, and see if that makes a difference. Thanks,

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the reply.

I think I've tried just that. My problem is that if I "turn on" the tone for the channel, it works just fine. As soon as I select another channel, and then go back to my repeater channel, the tone turns itself off, and the tone I had selected defaults back to the first selectable tone. I've ordered a programming cable, and will try to program it with the software, and see if that makes a difference. Thanks,

Are you in the VFO or a saved memory channel? In the VFO, this is by design.

Start in the VFO -> Set your PL tone -> Turn ON CTCSS and then transmit. Save this config into a memory channel.

If you change frequency or do some other function it'll probably clear the VFO. This is normal.

Yes, the programming software makes it quite easy. :)

SCPD

QRT
That was my question!! Not if Kenwood would send out software that didn't work. Come on. Let's focus here!!

If it can be done via the software, how???

Stop cross-posting. If you're talking about your other issue then keep it in that thread.

We have no idea what [it] or [this] means... I thought you were referring to the previous post.

VooVoo

Being new I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Being over 55 years old I don't take criticism well.
No cross post was done. I quoted what I was talking about. And asked a question that you obviously can't answer.
Thank you to the others who did reply though. You help is appreciated.
PS: Asking similar questions from different sources isn't cross posting!!!

wizz5500

I already know you can save split frequencies into a memory channel on the TM-281A. My question is can you also save different PL tones? one for transmit and a different for receive into a memory position???

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I already know you can save split frequencies into a memory channel on the TM-281A. My question is can you also save different PL tones? one for transmit and a different for receive into a memory position???
Probably not. Not many ham radio have thay ability. If you need that capability you will likely need to go to a LMR radio

toastycookies

Kglp8SG.png

answer in red box.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
You can set both separately, but you can not use both at once. Your are either in tone mode or CT mode on a given memory channel. I suppose you could set two channels right next to each other on the dial and switch back and forth manually but that would be painful in practice, I imagine. Every repeater in my area that has an output tone listens for the input tone at the same frequency so I have no need for it.

wizz5500

We have a local repeater that uses a different DPL code for receive and transmit. I understand the radio can store any frequency offsets into memory as shown in the above post. However the TM-281A will not store different DPL codes into memories. Big thank you to all that replied to my inquiry.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Weird, Baofeng and Anytone radios can be programmed with separate tones or DCS codes for TX and RX.

Status
Not open for further replies.