Icom IC-208H Custom Desk Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3KGD

Hello everyone,

I own an Icom IC-208H mobile radio and used it as a base radio. For a while now, I've been wanting to install an actual desk mic at my desk and replace using the stock hand mic. I see that Heil manufactures a model known as the ICM which can be interfaced with the radio.

My question is, I have a Shure 503BG microphone that was used for radio communications a while ago on an old radio console. Is it possible to somehow interface this microphone with the IC-208H?

For example, if I were to obtain the Heil FS-3 (Footswitch) and then their appropriate mic cable adapter, could I just use the Shure mic? I am going to assume that this Heil equipment will only work with the Heil mics due to specifications, but I thought I'd ask.

If anyone knows of a way to interface this Shure mic with the radio, I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Driv3r912

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
The Shure mic will work, but it may not have the same gain as the ICM. The ICM is an electret and the Shure is a dynamic mic. Electrets usually have a source of power and perhaps a small amp. You might check to see if the 208 has a mic gain in the menu options.

W2NJS

A dynamic mic will work fine with the 208. You should check the impedance of the old Shure mic and be sure it's around 600 ohms. I think the 208 pinout diagram is in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.