Icom V8000 Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick_in_MT

Of course, now that I have my new ham license my Icom is giving me fits. I have had an IC-V8000 as a base station since last winter. I programmed it with the Icom software and OPC478 or OPC1122 USB cable but now that I want to reprogram it and remove the transmit inhibits for the 2-meter repeaters around me, my cable has quit working. I've uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the driver, downloaded the latest driver, tried the other cable that plugs into the speaker jack instead of the mic jack, reset the comm ports and tried all four, reset them in Device Manager and again tried all four... What am I missing? How could my cable go bad just sitting on the shelf for 8 months???

I know you can do it manually but I have lots of channels to re-write. I paid good money for OEM software and cables and it burns me that I can't use them now. Does ANYONE have any ideas or experience with this radio? I would post to the V8000 forum on RadioReference.com but I've never gotten quick answers there...

Thanks.

Rick_in_MT

And it worked before....

I also have an Icom IC-F121 and the software for that. Its mounted in the mobile and I've programmed that several times the last few years with this same cable. Now it won't work there either. Same issues: it looks like its not communicating. And this is on a laptop-- not even the same machine I'm trying to use for the V8000. I also tried installing the software and cable driver in a Win 7 netbook, with a Win 7 cable driver, and that didn't work, either. Same issues with communicating on the cable.

I also have an Icom F3001 handheld, and a different cable with the 1/8" mini plug to USB connection. And a different software package. THAT works. :) Grrrr.... So I know I'm doing everything right.

The maddening thing is, I used the V8000 software last year to program the radio in the first place, so I know it all worked at one point. That's what's so frustrating.

Thanks again. I'll keep working the problem.

Rick_in_MT

Duh..... In my haste to get things working I neglected to reboot the PC after reinstalling the cable driver. Seems to be working fine now on the V8000. And I was using the wrong cable. I have two cables: one with a 1/8" mini that plugs into the speaker jack and one with an RJ45 that plugs into the mic jack. I could've sworn I used the RJ45 on the V8000 last time. Its working now with the 1/8" mini in the spkr jack.

Now I'm about to try the one with the RJ45 in the F121 out in the mobile. Cross your fingers. And thanks for not laughing. :) Sometimes I'm surprised I can tie my own shoes.......

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Of course, now that I have my new ham license my Icom is giving me fits. I have had an IC-V8000 as a base station since last winter. I programmed it with the Icom software and OPC478 or OPC1122 USB cable but now that I want to reprogram it and remove the transmit inhibits for the 2-meter repeaters around me, my cable has quit working. I've uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the driver, downloaded the latest driver, tried the other cable that plugs into the speaker jack instead of the mic jack, reset the comm ports and tried all four, reset them in Device Manager and again tried all four... What am I missing? How could my cable go bad just sitting on the shelf for 8 months???

I know you can do it manually but I have lots of channels to re-write. I paid good money for OEM software and cables and it burns me that I can't use them now. Does ANYONE have any ideas or experience with this radio? I would post to the V8000 forum on RadioReference.com but I've never gotten quick answers there...

Thanks.

"remove the transmit inhibits for the 2-meter repeaters around me", ...Huh?

n9zas

Duster40

2 mtrs

Apparently he programed 'safeguards' into his radio by inhibiting transmit
on 2 meters before he was licensed to use them...good forethought.

Rick_in_MT

Duster-- Exactly right. Its just a check block in the software. I did the same thing for the local public service channels since the V8000 is capable. Don't want to make a mistake on any of those. Kinda the same reason I never connected the mic on my IC-718. Didn't want to be tempted. But now that I'm legal I have no excuse-- Time to get a decent antenna and tuner. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.