Yaesu FTM-400D

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

They don't usually list new radios until they are available for sale. This way they can get rid of all the lousy 350 radios. Otherwise, if they announced the new 400, people would wait for them, & quit buying the 350, & be stuck with a bunch of them. GARY

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Yaesu FTM-400D released at the Amateur Radio Festival in Tokyo, supposed to be released in the US in November, 2012 pending FCC approval.

2 meter/440 MHz, 50W, C4FM FDMA, GPS, APRS (1200/9600bps), Micro SD, Rx 108-990MHz, mobile version of the Yaesu FT-1DR.

There are US suppliers taking reservations. Yaesu FTM-400D Video

The Yaesu FTM-400D has NOT been approved by the FCC for sale and this is not an offer or advertisement to sell this radio.

Last edited:

W2NJS

IMHO, that Yaesu display is head and shoulders above the Icom, as well as the similar Kenwood dual display dualbander. The radio is some iteration of Yaesu's new digital series, details of which are still unclear except that it's C4FM/FDMA but not compatible with Motorola P25.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
icom 2820 H look a like

Is Icom annoyed with this ?Looks like a IC-2820H to me,except no dstar.I think its butt-ugly,great going Yaesu!No P25? Not Dstar ?Who ya gonna talk to?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Is Icom annoyed with this ?Looks like a IC-2820H to me,except no dstar.I think its butt-ugly,great going Yaesu!No P25? Not Dstar ?Who ya gonna talk to?

You won't see Dstar in any other radio besides Ham Icom digital radios.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Sadly where I live the only digital game in town IS D-Star. Sadly I can not afford to put up a DMR or NXDN repeater. If someone put one up I would jump in with both feet. Yeasu digital? Not a chance. Not compatable with anything and zero infrastructure? I will pass thankyou very much

Last edited:

KA2ZEY

Do these guys (Yaesu) actually talk to ham operators? This is a horrible idea. Is it really difficult to make a multi digital mode transceiver?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

KA2ZEY said:
Do these guys (Yaesu) actually talk to ham operators? This is a horrible idea. Is it really difficult to make a multi digital mode transceiver?

From this digital format, compatible with nothing, with out any infrastructure, and nothing on the horizon? I am guessing they have their heads buried in the sand.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I think the design is an atrocity. The color screen just doesn't do it for me. And the items on the screen are uninspired, the font looks like it was just translated from their Japanese version. Just because it's a color screen doesn't mean they should find reasons to add a purple background, shiny-looking on-screen buttons, and colorized S-meters, and whatever other icons they have. It's unusually-shaped for a mobile rig, and compared to the hand mic, the display actually looks small to me.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's a big control head that doesn't fit well in today's modern cars. I'd personally like to see a radio with a smaller control head, that you can actually flush mount. At least they moved the microphone connector off of the control head.

But with the unknown proprietary digital mode, no 7.5KHz tuning steps, I think I'll pass on this one.

beischel

Yawn

Yaesu bucking the enormous trend of DStar is a mistake. Twice the bandwidth and yet another digital format. The difference is that DStar was designed by hams for hams. Yaesu is something they designed for the commercial market that is being adapted for hams. The two do not mix.

Remember when we developed IRLP and Echolink? Well that was not good enough for Yaesu. They went off and had to create THEIR own application called Wires. Those stupid Wires buttons are on every Yaesu radio and yet after 10+ years, almost no one uses Wires. Looking at the ARRL recent repeater directly and it shows 19 Wires enabled repeaters in the U.S. Another Yaesu flop.

DStar has over 1000 repeaters and thousands of users all across the world. So if you are a ham and want to actually talk to someone using digital, then buy DStar. If you want to have an expensive radio with digital that you get to use on FM all the time, then waste your money on Yaesu.

DStar, by hams for hams. Yaesu's digital, by commercial interests for commercial interest, but for hams as an afterthought.

When Kenwood comes out with something, will it be yet another digital method? That way they can claim their technology is the latest and therefore better. Frankly this is all nuts.

The one good thing I think this will do, is drive down the pricing of digital radios. Yaesu will price them high. Icom could respond by defending the market and dropping price. Hams have decision, a lower cost Icom with DStar and people to communicate with, or; a more expensive Yaesu radio with no one to talk to.

So I am looking forward to Yaesu's intro into the market. The DStar users should benefit.

JMHO

N4KVE

DMR will quickly overtake D-Star & leave it in the dirt. Also, it's an open technology that anyone can use, while D-Star technology must be bought & paid for by any company who wants to build it in their radios. Here in Florida, DMR had quickly passed D-Star in in popularity.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

MOONBOOTS said:
DMR will quickly overtake D-Star & leave it in the dirt. Also, it's an open technology that anyone can use, while D-Star technology must be bought & paid for by any company who wants to build it in their radios. Here in Florida, DMR had quickly passed D-Star in in popularity.

The DStar protocol is PUBLISHED(by JARL), just like DMR. The DSVI AMBE codec, used by BOTH protocols, on the otherhand, is proprietary and must be licensed to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.