Looking for an HF rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX2CIB

Hello all,
I am looking to get my General in the new year. Now I'm asking everyone's opinion in a good but inexpensive HF rig. I'm looking for one that does all bands this way when I decide to get my Extra. Thanks in advance. All opinions will be excepted.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Most HF transceivers that include the 160m through 10m bands cover the entire portion of those bands, so having a radio that will work for you now and in the future shouldn't be a problem.

Are looking for new or used?

A lot of of hams have gravitated to the small, mobile HF radios like the Icom IC-7000 or Yaesu FT-857/897. They are capable radios, but they do sacrifice ergonomics for small size. And, their ability to hear weak signals in a crowded band is suspect. I remember sitting in front of an FT-897 during Field Day and getting very frustrated with its inability to sort out the stations I was hearing.

If you can afford a Kenwood TS-590, it's receiver gets very good reviews. The Yaesu FT-450 is less than a grand and gets good reviews, too. I have an Icom IC-746Pro that I'm pretty happy with, but it's been discontinued for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.