TM-281A programming problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyboy

South of the Red River, North of the Metromess
I have a TM-281A with the programming cable. The programming software worked just fine on my Windows XP machine, but now I have a Windows 7 (Home Premium) machine and I cannot get it to work. After installing the software and going to Device Manger to get the Com Port (on this machine is say Com Port 3) that port just will not work. Every time I attempt to read the radio it stops and says "not responding" and I must restart my machine to get it to go away. Has anyone had a similar experience or perhaps some direction as what i need to do to get this to work? Any help would be appreciated!

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Is the programming cable a USB cable? If so you have a driver issue for sure. I battled with this problem for days installing and uninstalling drivers. Rolling back drivers. I Finally said screw it and bought a serial programming cable which worked on the first try on Win 7 Pro 64 Bit. Good luck. ;)

I have a TM-281A with the programming cable. The programming software worked just fine on my Windows XP machine, but now I have a Windows 7 (Home Premium) machine and I cannot get it to work. After installing the software and going to Device Manger to get the Com Port (on this machine is say Com Port 3) that port just will not work. Every time I attempt to read the radio it stops and says "not responding" and I must restart my machine to get it to go away. Has anyone had a similar experience or perhaps some direction as what i need to do to get this to work? Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

LtDoc

I haven't had a problem with using Win-7 to program the '281. There's the 'normal' "find the right port" thingy problem but it's certainly solvable. I've found that if I wait till the program is running, then plug in the cable (select right port naturally) things tend to work. I think that has to do with 'when' the program starts looking for that radio and how Win-7 gives it directions. (Can you tell I'm not a programmer??)
I've not had to restart the computer, but have killed then restarted the program, that helps sometimes. I have no idea why, but it does.
- 'Doc

Heyboy

South of the Red River, North of the Metromess
Lt. Doc thanks, but that didn't work (I tried several times waiting a bit longer each time...no joy)! I think Bearcat is correct some type of driver issues at work here.

perrybucsdad...albeit I am not computer illiterate creating virtual machines is a bit beyond my expertise.

Thanks to all for your suggestions...now I think I will see if the serial cable will give me any relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.