ICOM IC-7000 QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have been looking into purchasing the IC-7000. I have researched it's features and I want it. I have just one question, if used as a base, does the microphone HAVE to be plugged in via the rear jack, or can the front jack be used?

Manny

W5JER

I use the front jack on mine and use it as my home base station. It just makes it much easier to control the wire for the mic.

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
That's a beautiful rig. I saw it in person not long ago though and I was really surprised at how small the screen was. The online pictures I have seen made it look much bigger. Still a nice piece of equipment and I would think it would make a great piece to have in a Go Box.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Manny,

As other's have commented you can use the back or front. If using the front the bail will be down to lift the radio up so the cable has room to hang down.

Just to make life interesting Icom has announced the 7100 a replacement for the 7000. That should have some impact to lower new and used 7000 prices, but I can't say how much or when. Universal-Radio shows a picture and some information with price as T.B.A. and equipment waiting for FCC approval.

My main rig is a Flex3000, but kept my 7000 as a backup and quick start radio. Nice radio and I think you will like it.

Mike, KE5MC

AC2OY

Thanks!

Will do, but I am still a month away from getting it. It's taken me a while to save up for it. Wife and 3 teenage daughters take up most of my time, and money! LOL....

Manny

You poor bastard...LOL Three daughters plus a wife? I would be in the shack for ever....just kidding...LOL

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Manny,

As other's have commented you can use the back or front. If using the front the bail will be down to lift the radio up so the cable has room to hang down.

Just to make life interesting Icom has announced the 7100 a replacement for the 7000. That should have some impact to lower new and used 7000 prices, but I can't say how much or when. Universal-Radio shows a picture and some information with price as T.B.A. and equipment waiting for FCC approval.

My main rig is a Flex3000, but kept my 7000 as a backup and quick start radio. Nice radio and I think you will like it.

Mike, KE5MC

From what I have been led to believe by HRO and Universal Radio staff, they don't believe the 7100 will be replacing the 7000, though I'm hardpressed to believe it. However, if you look at the Universal Radio 7100 link below, and look on the left side under "previous models" there is no mention of the 7000.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/3071.html
I can see the argument in either direction though.Regardless, I ordered one yesterday from HRO. I should have it Monday sometime! I can't wait!

You poor bastard...LOL Three daughters plus a wife? I would be in the shack for ever....just kidding...LOL

LOL...Well, you would think so, but I am in a unique position. My wife is a Ham like me, an Extra class to be exact! One of my 3 daughters is also a Ham, the other 2 have interest but not licensed yet. So when I'm in the shack, more often than not, I'm not alone! I have included my family in all my interests, which is why I am now reaping the benefits! Like I said, I'm in a unique position!

Manny

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Interesting comment/impression from Universal-Radio. With the additional features of SD card, Touch Screen, D-Star and others I haven't noticed the price may be steep enough to allow the 7000 to continue as a marketable/profitable item.

Thanks for information and link about additional pictures.

Nice to see your family is involved. My wife is not critical, but keeps her distance.

Depending on your antenna setup you might find the LDG AT-100ProII a nice addition. Easy interface to the radio with the supplied cable and the 7000 thinks it has an AH4 connected so the front panel tune works.

Mike

...snip...

...they don't believe the 7100 will be replacing the 7000, though I'm hardpressed to believe it.

...snip...

My wife is a Ham like me, an Extra class to be exact! One of my 3 daughters is also a Ham, the other 2 have interest but not licensed yet. So when I'm in the shack, more often than not, I'm not alone!

...snip...

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Interesting comment/impression from Universal-Radio. With the additional features of SD card, Touch Screen, D-Star and others I haven't noticed the price may be steep enough to allow the 7000 to continue as a marketable/profitable item.

Thanks for information and link about additional pictures.

Nice to see your family is involved. My wife is not critical, but keeps her distance.

Depending on your antenna setup you might find the LDG AT-100ProII a nice addition. Easy interface to the radio with the supplied cable and the 7000 thinks it has an AH4 connected so the front panel tune works.

Mike

I was looking at the LDG product line recently now that you mention that! I see that the IT-100 is specifically made for the IC-7000. I will be running a G5RV for now as I do not expect to be in this particular home too much longer, so the 100 will have to do for now!

Manny

Last edited:

peterwo2e

front back don't mater i use the back jack most when im home. i had this rig for a few years in the closet after i bought it i din't quite like it is a learning curve and i got fat fingers and those buttons are small. put it back in the box. i been playing with it recently and actually been reading the instruction book, freaking thing is awesome. i use it everyday to do psk, rtty, etc there is an adapter for the acc jack it sales on e bay for 30 bucks connect this adapter to the pc sound card and within minutes you doing digital mode. love this little radio everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.