Elecraft K3 Build Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK

Good luck. I had one for a while, didn't care for it at all. I would advise anyone to try before you buy because this is an expensive item.

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
Good luck. I had one for a while, didn't care for it at all. I would advise anyone to try before you buy because this is an expensive item.

Interesting - what didn't you like about it? Good friend has built everyone they have made and swears by it. I have a 1000mp as well which is my favorite radio ever made.... I keep going back the 1000mp but i am interested in your opinion.

MK

You are obviously looking forward to building and using the K3, so I do not want to spoil the experience. Enjoy the rig. If you really want to know about my experience, then send a private message.

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
You are obviously looking forward to building and using the K3, so I do not want to spoil the experience. Enjoy the rig. If you really want to know about my experience, then send a private message.

I'll make you a deal - your right I am excited so I don't want to spoil it but when I am done I will email you PM and we could about your experience. I am not blind to see a few things already but I haven' had a chance to build a rig in 20 years so I'm really looking forward to it :)

n8zcc

When they build the perfect radio that addresses everyone's needs, as subjective as they are, let me know cause I want one, as long as it is under $1500. :)

JPSan

Elecraft ROCKS and PERFORMS reviews prove it!

The K3 is simply an outstanding radio from an American company. Was very impressed with it at a contest station and Field Day.

When I see someone make a posting as such without specifics I find it laughable at best and just blow it off as nonsense.:roll:

The K3 has been widely praised online and in print.

From 41+ years as a ham I have seen people bad mouth a lot of equipment without real justification. ( just lack of knowledge of proper operation 9 out of 10 times and yes, there some poorly designed and supported, too!)

Many years ago when the Kenwood TS-570SG came out a local ( Chicago area back then) just had purchased the radio and in one months time he was complaining about how absolutely terrible this Kenwood was. ( This guy would go through HF rigs like butter!) Always off freq, bad receive audio and transmit audio was just so poor. We heard this for weeks. He would not send it back to AES or call Kenwood, no just ***** and whine about this abortion of a radio....I called his bluff and told him I would buy it from him or do a trade.

Long story short, we traded and I got a BRAND new at the time TS- 570SG, box, receipt and WARRANTY everything for a STEAL. I could NOT find a single issue with the radio, NOTHING. Rock stable, excellent on air reports great rx audio...Just someone who was totally clueless on how to use his NEW radio. So he bad mouths it. I win. So It Goes.

I have 2 friends that have built the K3 from kit form. Neither have had a single issue or complaint. I love how the radio looks, PERFORMS and the SUPPORT the company gives. And there very happy with there K3's.

I am planning on putting a Elecraft KX3 in my inventory as QRP is my only interest.

If I had the need for a base rig first choice would be a K3 and P3 panadapter without hesitation.:D

Yeah, you can't please every one. But, some come so darn close.

Enjoy your K3.

SCPD

QRT
The K3 is simply an outstanding radio from an American company. Was very impressed with it at a contest station and Field Day.

When I see someone make a posting as such without specifics I find it laughable at best and just blow it off as nonsense.:roll:

The K3 has been widely praised online and in print.

From 41+ years as a ham I have seen people bad mouth a lot of equipment without real justification. ( just lack of knowledge of proper operation 9 out of 10 times and yes, there some poorly designed and supported, too!)

Many years ago when the Kenwood TS-570SG came out a local ( Chicago area back then) just had purchased the radio and in one months time he was complaining about how absolutely terrible this Kenwood was. ( This guy would go through HF rigs like butter!) Always off freq, bad receive audio and transmit audio was just so poor. We heard this for weeks. He would not send it back to AES or call Kenwood, no just ***** and whine about this abortion of a radio....I called his bluff and told him I would buy it from him or do a trade.

Long story short, we traded and I got a BRAND new at the time TS- 570SG, box, receipt and WARRANTY everything for a STEAL. I could NOT find a single issue with the radio, NOTHING. Rock stable, excellent on air reports great rx audio...Just someone who was totally clueless on how to use his NEW radio. So he bad mouths it. I win. So It Goes.

I have 2 friends that have built the K3 from kit form. Neither have had a single issue or complaint. I love how the radio looks, PERFORMS and the SUPPORT the company gives. And there very happy with there K3's.

I am planning on putting a Elecraft KX3 in my inventory as QRP is my only interest.

If I had the need for a base rig first choice would be a K3 and P3 panadapter without hesitation.:D

Yeah, you can't please every one. But, some come so darn close.

Enjoy your K3.

Okay calm down. He wasn't saying anything negative about Elecraft -- he simply stated his opinion.

Elecraft is a good company and they have a loyal customer base. The fact that they are a US company is also a very good thing.

That being said, I believe his post was just simply saying that the K3's cost factor is on the high side, even when compared to other radios in its class. A fully-configured K3 with all of the bells and whistles will run several thousand dollars -- and this is true for any top-end radio -- welcome to amateur radio.

I know exactly what the OP was feeling because I nearly plunked down the $$ for a K3 as well. I must have built 100 different order combinations in trying to find the lowest price, etc. After I realized I was going to spend nearly $2000 for a 10w HF radio, I backed away.

I eventually purchased an Icom 7600. I never regretted my decision. I still would love to build a K3 and play with one, but I'm not going to plunk down the cash. Will see what happens with the K5.

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
I find it funny these days - seems to me a lot of threads go sideways quickly and we need to remember that it is radio. You are going to like things I don't and so it. It's like Ford vs Chevy, Red Sox vs Yankees, Icom vs Yeasu.... whatever it is there will always be several sides and opinions. I had a really bad experience with Best Buy but I'm sure you will find 100 people to say otherwise.

I am excited to build a new radio - yeah the cost for sure is something to consider on this rig. I already went back on recommendation and purchased the internal antenna tuner and the watt meter. I had originally purchased the wide band receiver and after some investigating I'm going to wait to install. Seems that it is something that would have to come out every time you add an option.

I know it's more expensive, and maybe not as flashy as some rigs... I am hopeful that the joy of building it and knowing I put it together when operating is going to be the payoff... might not be right for all but I am excited :)

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Ah, where oh where has Heathkit gone? I had many of their pieces, including building a TV set. It was fun to get the thingie working. Have fun with the K3!

MK

Yes, the cost factor is one reason I did not like the K3. I spent over $3,000 on mine, then sold it. I am sure that I would have been MUCH happier with an Icom 7600 or other transceivers. A fully configured K3 costs about $5,000. There is no way I would pay that amount for what one gets. But there were other reasons besides price/performance that this radio did not work out for me. Like I said, the details can be discussed privately. Given the fanatical following of the K3, there is no point in trying to rationally discuss its features vs. shortcomings in a public forum. It is almost impossible to objectively discuss it without someone feeling offended.

Heathkit finally went bankrupt for the second and last time a while ago. The company had interesting products, but their time has passed. We will never see an era like that again in our lifetime.

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
Elecraft W2 Watt Meter Build

Elecraft W2 Watt Meter Build – (Elecraft K3 Build) Page 3

So a package arrived from Elecraft and I was excited but it wasn’t that big and not knowing exactly now big the radios (Elecraft K3) is I was wondering if it came in separate packages or something.

Here is the story and pictures:

Elecraft W2 Watt Meter Build - N1IC - Elecraft K3 Build Page 3 | NickToday Blog

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
Elecraft K3 Build – Unboxing – Page 4

In the continuing saga of the Elecraft K3 Build the package arrived last night but due to some other factors in the house I waited until first thing in the morning. One of the factors was I wanted to get my cameras out and setup for the unpacking of the radio. As many of you – my wife and daughters find it a little strange at times that I’m doing video production in the breakfast nook but we are short on space and I love to write my blog so I normally do these things in the morning when I’m up before the rosters.

Elecraft K3 Build

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
Elecraft K3 Build – Parts Separation and Day 1 Build

Elecraft K3 Build

So I will say upfront this is not the most exciting part of the build – I will say that I was not feeling 100% while working on this section so I didn’t get as far as I wanted and I also found that it’s pretty stressful trying to build, read, get things right and be on video ☺

n1ic

Premium Subscriber
Elecraft K3 Build Continuing – Reflection Point (Page 6)

Elecraft K3 Build Continuing – Reflection Point

Ironically – Building the Elecraft K3 has let me to reflect. This K3 project is special to me and has drawn some interesting questions. I have been asked by several people including friends and coworkers and some outside my family what I did on my vacation days and when I tried to explain that I was working on building a Ham Radio – Elecraft K3 which I knew they would have no idea about the brand but I always take shot at it.

The reaction has been staggering – so you are building something that is taking days if not weeks to do that you could have purchased all put together and ready to use by someone else. On top of that you are setting up camera and blogging about it. What a waste of time seems to be the consensus.

Elecraft K3 Build Continuing

MK

If you enjoyed building the K3, that is all that matters. You cannot expect others to feel the same way. Sometimes people will not share your same interests. Just accept it and move on. Eventually you will meet others who have built Elecraft equipment and shared the excitement.

I have had similar reactions with photography. Years ago everyone wanted to see my photos, which were always shot with high end Nikon equipment. These days I cannot get anyone to view my work. Consumers are bombarded by so many images daily that they feel viewing a photographer's collection is a waste of time.

I ordered my K3 factory built, by the way. I would never have spent the time doing something that I knew others could do better and faster than me.

SCPD

QRT
This is the general reaction from my non-radio friends. They look at you as if you just spoke in Greek.

Non-radio people just don't understand and probably never will. Everyone has their peculiar interest(s) and neither side can understand why we like what we do...

Every now and then I'll get someone who actually knows what two-way radio is about but then I cringe when they mention "oh it's like CB radio..." <sigh>

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
Many of the instant gratification crowd have issues with this. They also have issues with TV Dinners taking 30+ minutes to cook in the oven and other things that take time.

There used to be a time when all this was normal. In some parts of the world it still is. One of my hobbies that I have is building black powder rifles that were like the ones used in the 1700's & 1800's. You can't do these in a day, or a weekend. In fact, it sometimes takes me over a year to do. I find a lot of excitement in building these, as I am sure you do with your K3. It's fun to take something that started as a bunch of pieces parts and put them together with your own hands and make them turn into a functional piece of something. Not many people can experience that today. Not because they don't have the opportunity, but because they don't seek it out and try.

I'm not sure I could build a K3, but then again, I would have said the same thing about the rifles before I built my first one. Hats off to you...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.