Anyone else to this with their HT's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
All my handy talkies are of the "cheap" Chinese variety (Baofeng and Wouxun) that I primarily program with my computer. However, sometimes I'm out and about with one of them and need to quickly plug in a frequency or two. However, even though I know how to program them by hand, since I don't do it all that often, I more times than not have a hard time remembering exactly how it's done.

Well, they (whoever "they" may be LOL) say that necessity is the mother of invention. How very, very true. This past weekend I was out at one of my local forest preserves just chillin' and people watching. Had my UV-5R with me, along with a couple of scanners. Heard, on my scanner while doing a service search, some traffic on 2 meters that I wanted to reply to, but it wasn't on any of the frequencies I already had programmed into the talkie. By the time I struggled to remember what steps to follow, the parties had concluded their traffic. Made me kind of mad, so I decided to come up with a way to have step by step programming instructions for each radio model with me each time I took one of them on the road with me.

What I finally came up with was to make a list detailing, step by step, the programming steps required for each model. Once completed, I reduced the font size and printed out the list. Then, I tightly folded the lists and put them in between the battery and battery compartment cover of each model. Now, next time I'm stumped, I can quickly pull off the battery cover, grab the list, and have the radio programmed in no time at all.

Hopefully if I have to do this enough, I'll finally memorize all the steps for each model and won't need my cheat sheets, but until that time comes, at least I'm prepared when out in the field.

:)

N4KVE

There are companies that sell small pocket guides for this exact reason. Sadly, this is the weak point of these radios. I have an Icom W-32, & T-90, & I only use them once a year when I travel, yet I can enter a freq & PL tones in 30 seconds. Very simple, unlike the Chinese radios.

kf4uuz

I like your idea.
With the increasing popularity of these brands you might want to print up several hundred, and put an ad in the RR classifieds to try to market them. :wink: Just a thought.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Maybe you bought the wrong radio. I can program all of my handhelds by hand without referring to the manual or other guides. I consider that a necessity before I buy a radio. If I can't figure out how to program it, then the radio will be of little use to me when I'm under pressure.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I have a laminated cheat sheet from "Nifty! Ham Accessories" that has been useful under the described circumstances, for use with my Yaesu VX-5R:

http://www.niftyaccessories.com/

They cover most brands of HTs.

I don't work for them or anything like that, btw, just a satisfied customer.

Jim

RESlusher

I did pretty much the same thing for my Wouxon HT; but I reduced mine down to the size of my waterproof paper booklets and laminated it. Before I laminated it I made a simple Excel spreadsheet with the various repeater freq ranges and what their offsets are. I have the hardest time remembering them. So I printed em both and placed them back to back. I left enough of a little tail of lamination material on it so I could punch holes in it and stick it into the binding of the waterproof pad.

n0ypd

One of a few reasons i sold my HT's over a long period of time.Low usage,and remembering how to use them.

rapidcharger

Now if only we could put the instructions to a tune and remember the lyrics, we wouldn't need cheat sheets.

Heck, you could start a band and the highly memorable songs on how to program your baofeng could become a big hit and go to the top of the charts.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Now if only we could put the instructions to a tune and remember the lyrics, we wouldn't need cheat sheets.

Heck, you could start a band and the highly memorable songs on how to program your baofeng could become a big hit and go to the top of the charts.

Now there is a "nifty" idea!!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

I have a laminated cheat sheet from "Nifty! Ham Accessories" that has been useful under the described circumstances, for use with my Yaesu VX-5R:

Nifty Accessories Ham Radio Set-up Guides, Radio Pouches and Chest Harness Home Page

They cover most brands of HTs.

I don't work for them or anything like that, btw, just a satisfied customer.

Jim

Thanks for the link.

I'm surprised I've never heard of these before. And here I thought my idea was original. So much for making a boatload of ca$h LOL.

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well, one of the perks of front programmable ham radios is the ability to modify frequencies without being tethered to a computer. One of the reasons to first learn to RTFM and program the radios by hand first and to review how to do this often.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, one of the perks of front programmable ham radios is the ability to modify frequencies without being tethered to a computer. One of the reasons to first learn to RTFM and program the radios by hand first and to review how to do this often.

I'm all for reading the manual, but it would help if the manual was in english that the average consumer could understand. Nine times out of ten, it's easier just to use the "hit and miss" method to figure the things out rather than to try to read/understand 'Chinglish.'

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the link.

I'm surprised I've never heard of these before. And here I thought my idea was original. So much for making a boatload of ca$h LOL.

Yeah, dontcha hate when that happens? It can be a real letdown!

Let us know if you get one and if it helps, I'd be curious to find out.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Manual literacy aside, I never could remember more than the basic frequency entry and PL setting for the VR-500, FT-8800R, VX5R and VX6R. And my mind is totally wiped on the PRO-106.

In these days of cloud computing, I don't make cheat sheets or carry around manuals any more. My solution is simply to get a copy of each manual in PDF form and upload to a Dropbox or Box account. Easy to access/search using my phone wherever I may be.

HTH.

AC2OY

I usually keep about three sets of instructions under my HT so that in a jiffy I can input something in fast, have to say that I'm getting better at it or faster anyway. My biggest problem is when I try and venture out and hit another repeater, it's quiet or perhaps no longer in service?

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-23) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Manual literacy aside, I never could remember more than the basic frequency entry and PL setting for the VR-500, FT-8800R, VX5R and VX6R. And my mind is totally wiped on the PRO-106.

In these days of cloud computing, I don't make cheat sheets or carry around manuals any more. My solution is simply to get a copy of each manual in PDF form and upload to a Dropbox or Box account. Easy to access/search using my phone wherever I may be.

HTH.

Another good idea. I have them on my iPhone and iPad.

Still, the cheat sheets, if done correctly, might be faster, if you keep them with your HT.

w2xq

Mentor

Jimru, the boxes we have today are so complicated I wonder if I could get all the info onto a cheat sheet. Invariably I'd leave something out, or I would forget where I put it. Teeny tiny type isn't for these older eyes. :)

Jimru

Premium Subscriber

Jimru, the boxes we have today are so complicated I wonder if I could get all the info onto a cheat sheet. Invariably I'd leave something out, or I would forget where I put it. Teeny tiny type isn't for these older eyes. :)

I hear that, especially the part about teeny type. I find myself squinting even with glasses these days (time for new ones, I reckon).

AF5JQ

Feed Provider
I have my Wouxun set where one button press puts it in VFO mode. From there I just punch in the frequency and use the menu to change offset and PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.