RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment - For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 5:27 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default External Speakers ohm

I pick up two speakers from a local Kenwood dealer "kenwood kes-3 4ohm" for my TM-v71.

I just started looking in the manual and came across External Speakers pag.7

It says
"If you plan to use external speakers, choose speakers with an impedance of 8 ohm.

They recommend using Kenwood SP-50b

Will these speakers damage my radio? Or will they work fine?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2013, 8:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They will work. But, the 4 ohm speakers will allow more current to flow from your radio. More current means more heat. If you think your radio will dissipate the heat, and not overheat; you should be fine. As long as you listen at a moderate volume, I don't think it will be a problem. I have 2 Polk speakers hooked to an Icom 2200H. Never had a problem. I don't really that you will.
Old 05-11-2013, 8:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default External Speakers ohm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5EYR View Post
They will work. But, the 4 ohm speakers will allow more current to flow from your radio. More current means more heat. If you think your radio will dissipate the heat, and not overheat; you should be fine. As long as you listen at a moderate volume, I don't think it will be a problem. I have 2 Polk speakers hooked to an Icom 2200H. Never had a problem. I don't really that you will.
Thank you! Better safe then sorry!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-11-2013, 8:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You're quite welcome. I might add that the Polk's I have hooked to my Icom, go a long way to prevent "listener's fatigue". The sound is nothing short of stellar.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sorry to resurrect a five-year-old thread, but I found this post because I want to drive a single Kenwood KES-5 external speaker with a Kenwood TM-V71A, and I'm also concerned about the impedance mismatch between the 8Ω transceiver and the 4Ω speaker.

I'm curious if the original poster proceeded with using the speakers with the transceiver, and if there were ever any issues.
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5MAJ View Post
Sorry to resurrect a five-year-old thread, but I found this post because I want to drive a single Kenwood KES-5 external speaker with a Kenwood TM-V71A, and I'm also concerned about the impedance mismatch between the 8Ω transceiver and the 4Ω speaker.

I'm curious if the original poster proceeded with using the speakers with the transceiver, and if there were ever any issues.

Didn’t really have an issue with it working.
I did not like that they where not loud enough for my install. But that’s due to how small they are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-02-2018, 12:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just for the record, I emailed Kenwood, and almost immediately received a reply back from someone in their amateur radio technical support group. He wrote, "The Kenwood KES-5 speaker will work fine with the TM-V71A. No need to look for anything else."

I thought I'd share that in case anyone else stumbles onto this thread with the same question.

73, N5MAJ
Old 02-02-2018, 3:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Kenwood KES 5 speaker

I have tried a lot of speakers on my Icom 7300 and the Kenwood KES 5 is the best.
Old 02-02-2018, 3:43 PM

Right from the Kenwood service manual spec sheet:

Low frequency output (8Ω) More than 2W (at 5% distortion).

A lower impedance speaker like 4 ohms will work with the audio amplifier in the TM V71/ 710 radios with some loss at lower audio frequencies due to the coupling capacitor in the audio amp output, 330uF. The audio IC is IC801 a LA4629 and spec'ed at:

PO(2) VCC = 12 V, RL = 4 ohm THD = 10 % 4.0 W
Old 02-03-2018, 3:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Also, the lower impedance speaker will be louder than the higher one. For years, Motorola sold radios with 8 ohm speakers. But for only $79 extra, you could get a "higher output " speaker for use in noisy environments. It was the exact same speaker, but it was 3 ohms instead of 8. A quick $79 profit for something that cost them nothing extra. And yes, it was substantially louder.
Old 02-03-2018, 4:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
Also, the lower impedance speaker will be louder than the higher one. For years, Motorola sold radios with 8 ohm speakers. But for only $79 extra, you could get a "higher output " speaker for use in noisy environments. It was the exact same speaker, but it was 3 ohms instead of 8. A quick $79 profit for something that cost them nothing extra. And yes, it was substantially louder.
They still do that...7.5W speaker comes standard with most APX radios and the 15W version can be ordered as an option.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

but the cool thing is the audio amp in the Moto may very well put out over 10 watts
unlike the wimpy ham rigs that distort at 1 watt