Kenwood TM-281A Chinese knockoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4CS

This struck my curiosity so I thought I'd share. I was browsing for radios and happened across this little radio:

Baojie BJ-271

I'd swear that was a Kenwood TM-281 or TM-271. I can't find much info on the radio, not sure who manufacturers it or it's quality.

Pictures below of both radios for comparison.

Attachments

• baojie_bj271.jpg
    baojie_bj271.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 6,660
  • tm281a.jpg
    tm281a.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,772

VE7WV

Good spot!

The Chinese rip-off isn't a new phenomena - Many (many) years ago I used to be in the outdoor products industry - we built a line of mountaineering and other high end pack and carrying cases for industry. Routinely a low-budget competitor of ours would ship our product off overseas to get copied. They'd copy the items faithfully, including copying any manufacturing mistakes.

I don't support this sort of blatant idea theft and certainly won't give the makers of this gear my dollars.

Judging by the giddy glee which which many welcome the low budget products, maybe I'm in a minority.

WB4CS

I see a little bit of the 271 in that model, but it looks more like a Kenwood LMR to me.

I agree with VE7WV, I don't like supporting these cheap Chinese companies, but I understand they do introduce competition and allow people to get affordable radios. But when you're talking about a $30 dual band HT I just don't know how reliable they can be. Some people swear by them, so maybe they're okay but I can't see how much profit can be made off of them.

n6dlh

I see a little bit of the 271 in that model, but it looks more like a Kenwood LMR to me.

I agree with VE7WV, I don't like supporting these cheap Chinese companies, but I understand they do introduce competition and allow people to get affordable radios. But when you're talking about a $30 dual band HT I just don't know how reliable they can be. Some people swear by them, so maybe they're okay but I can't see how much profit can be made off of them.

To be honest my little Baofeng works remarkably well, with better battery life than any of my high dollar HT's. But lets face it, an HT is only going to do so much, I just cant see where there is much of a reliability in any HT unless you are very close to a repeater site. I did not expect much, and was pleasantly surprised. Testing out on the local repeater when the Audiophile ham responded. He is known for giving his opinion on audio quality on the air, according to him it sounded good. I told him what it was, he said he was not surprised, they do quite well for what they are.

For 30 bucks you cannot go wrong. As far as those mobiles go, it seems to me that the Kenwood can be picked up for less than that thing is selling for. In a way you do get what you pay for, just some things you may get a little more hi hi.

rapidcharger

I think the LishengYshon mobile looks a lot like the 271 except for the display. I don't know any commercial mobiles that look like that. Even the knobs are the same.

I don't really know that they have introduced competition.
Have you noticed any prices dropping on the Japanese brands? I sure haven't.
If anything, I've seen the prices go up.

Last edited:

WB4CS

I think the LishengYshon mobile looks a lot like the 271 except for the display. I don't know any commercial mobiles that look like that. Even the knobs are the same.

I don't have time right this second to search all the images, but the buttons to me look more like the Kenwood LMR below. I also attached a picture of the Yshon and a 271 for comparison.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just wanted to visually represent what I was thinking :)

Attachments

• Kenwood1.jpg
    Kenwood1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 4,709
  • kenwood3.JPG
    kenwood3.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 3,791
  • Kenwood2.jpg
    Kenwood2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3,345

dksac2

There is a test on one of the new Chicom duel banders in this months QST that is made to look like a Yaesu FT-8800. The look alike thing is made to fool people into thinking that the China radio is as good as the brand name, and they are no where close, just another China marketing trick.

It falls far short from the Yaesu and from the specs I saw is a real turd.

While the Chinese may make some half decent HT's (I think those are lacking too), their full size mobile transceivers offer little and not a lot of savings.

I have one of the boefeg HT's and the thing is way more of pain to program than it's worth, puts out less power than my Yaesu FT-60 and the FT-60 is a tank next to any China radio. It is no longer used at all.

The savings to me is not enough, especially on something that I may have to trust my life to.
Radios are usually a fairly long term investment, why not just save a little more and buy quality, at least that's how I look at it.

Lastly, the more cheap China junk that is bought, the more the big names that make quality radios have a hard time making a profit and staying in business, how the heck does a Chicom duel band HT radio sell for $43.00 shipped ? Something has to give and corners are cut, they have to be at that price. Might be OK for a throw away, but you had better have a good back up near by.
I know radios are made all over the world today, but at least the big names demand quality and much tighter specs in their radios. You can keep the Chicom radios, I'll stick to my Yaesu's and Kenwoods. Icom radios are also excellent, but I think they are overpriced. I'll pay more for quality any day, but not for a name and I think the other manufacturers have radio's just as good as the Icom's for less money.
Watch out for knock off Comet antennas also, the Chinese are making antennas that look just like a Comet from the package to the antenna, but they sure do not work as well. Buy from the larger radio outlets, you'll get the real thing, EBay and wholesale radio stores, you take your chances.

73's John KF7VXA

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Lastly, the more cheap China junk that is bought, the more the big names that make quality radios have a hard time making a profit and staying in business...
Apple is facing this very same question.

There are many Android-based cell phones on the market that, to many consumers, are functionally equivalent to an iPhone. These consumers compare an iPhone to an Android-based phone from HTC or Samsung and wonder why they should pay the premium for the iPhone. This is cutting into Apple's profits, but Apple apparently thinks they can continue to thrive in the market by delivering a quality product even though it's more expensive than the competition.

Will Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu be able to take the same approach?

dksac2

Apple is facing this very same question.

There are many Android-based cell phones on the market that, to many consumers, are functionally equivalent to an iPhone. These consumers compare an iPhone to an Android-based phone from HTC or Samsung and wonder why they should pay the premium for the iPhone. This is cutting into Apple's profits, but Apple apparently thinks they can continue to thrive in the market by delivering a quality product even though it's more expensive than the competition.

Will Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu be able to take the same approach?

I sure hope so. The problem is that the Amateur radio user needs to know that there can be a major difference in the performance between the quality radios and the Chicom radios.

Some people may not care, but I think most people who have been in the game for a while will go for quality. It just seems that the newer Hams are going fro the cheaper radios, not really knowing much more than they can save some money.

I guess education is the answer and to be truthful, there are some decent accessories out there that fall into the less expensive class. Much depends on the money one has to spend.
Me, I'll wait and save unless I need something right away and no way have the cash for the higher quality equipment. Buying good equipment is almost never a mistake and pays off in the long run. Anything cheap, I have found that I had to replace in a short time, so I make every effort to not buy the Chicom off brand equipment.

73's John

rapidcharger

I don't have time right this second to search all the images, but the buttons to me look more like the Kenwood LMR below. I also attached a picture of the Yshon and a 271 for comparison.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just wanted to visually represent what I was thinking :)

The shape of the display and the knobs of the yshon/lisheng are identical to the 271. If you look up then specs, then dimensions are also the same. Looks nothing like the lmr radio!
ok.gif

Now contrast to the baojie in your OP. Nothing is absolutely identical except for the knobs.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
This struck my curiosity so I thought I'd share. I was browsing for radios and happened across this little radio:

Baojie BJ-271

I'd swear that was a Kenwood TM-281 or TM-271. I can't find much info on the radio, not sure who manufacturers it or it's quality.

Brandon,

I bought the Kenwood TM-281a and when it arrived I looked at the box saying made in China,I called HRO and questioned the about it and was told Kenwood Japan have contract with China to make the 281a and there is no price difference but it seems the quality in the radio is close to the tm-271a with the exception of the APRS capability solder pads inside the 271 which were eliminated in the 281.

Both models perform identical and hvae a slightly different PCB board and front face configuration,the books are the same as far as function but the 281 is amber color display only which is not bad and 5 extra watts.

I also questioned a Chinese seller about the tm-471a radio the cousin to the 271a,he told me not to get the china made 471 instead get the Japanese version that the quality was way better the n the china made unit and this is coming from a Chinese person so that should tell you something plus he sais if I wanted it he would sell me the Japanese version.

If anyone is in the market for either a Kenwood TM-271a or Kenwood TM-471a get the Japanese version and check to see from your vendor which unit they supply so you may get the best of the two,I have no idea why they each want to produce the same radios from different locations and at the same price for high/low quality,be careful because in this case it is you get what you pay for it the the quality of the country you pay the same price for,it doesn't make since but I imagine someone is saving a Yen or two somewhere...Willaim

rapidcharger

The back and underneath the radio.

Identical to the 271.

Like the courtroom tire tread analysis scene in My Cousin Vinny... "I-*claps hands*-dentical!"

Attachments

• lisheng-at-808-mobile-radio-2.jpg
    lisheng-at-808-mobile-radio-2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 3,051
  • lisheng-at-808-mobile-radio-1.jpg
    lisheng-at-808-mobile-radio-1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,957

W5KVV

I don't see how the China made knock off radios are going to introduce competition when both of the mobiles shown here are higher than the real Kenwood TM281. You can get a brand new 281 for $139 or cheaper if you find them on sale. They're a bulletproof rig. Both the 271 & 281 were basically built on a commercial chassis.

Who in their right mind would pay more for a knockoff?

I've handled numerous radios since I got into this hobby a few years back. They're all made in China. The big 3 has something called quality control. Even tho they're made in China, they're made to the mfg's specs & tolerances. Something the knock offs lack.

JustLou

Brandon,

I bought the Kenwood TM-281a and when it arrived I looked at the box saying made in China,I called HRO and questioned the about it and was told Kenwood Japan have contract with China to make the 281a and there is no price difference but it seems the quality in the radio is close to the tm-271a with the exception of the APRS capability solder pads inside the 271 which were eliminated in the 281.

Both models perform identical and hvae a slightly different PCB board and front face configuration,the books are the same as far as function but the 281 is amber color display only which is not bad and 5 extra watts.

I also questioned a Chinese seller about the tm-471a radio the cousin to the 271a,he told me not to get the china made 471 instead get the Japanese version that the quality was way better the n the china made unit and this is coming from a Chinese person so that should tell you something plus he sais if I wanted it he would sell me the Japanese version.

If anyone is in the market for either a Kenwood TM-271a or Kenwood TM-471a get the Japanese version and check to see from your vendor which unit they supply so you may get the best of the two,I have no idea why they each want to produce the same radios from different locations and at the same price for high/low quality,be careful because in this case it is you get what you pay for it the the quality of the country you pay the same price for,it doesn't make since but I imagine someone is saving a Yen or two somewhere...Willaim

This is similar to what my brother-in-law in the appliance repair business told me when I asked him what washer and dryer to buy. He just advised me to look at the country of manufacture plate on the door and avoid any model produced in China or Mexico.

K4APR

I don't see how the China made knock off radios are going to introduce competition when both of the mobiles shown here are higher than the real Kenwood TM281. You can get a brand new 281 for $139 or cheaper if you find them on sale. They're a bulletproof rig. Both the 271 & 281 were basically built on a commercial chassis.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through these posts!

rapidcharger

Probably for the same reason local governments pay $4000 for a portable radio nowadays. They're not shopping around.

Another radio reference member is often showing me ebay listing of people overpaying for used radios that they could
buy new for less. "Why?! Who is that stupid?!" And I tell him that they are assuming that because they are on ebay and
they are used radios that that is the lowest price around. It's really the only reason I have a job actually. :)

Everybody sing it with me now....

:D

SCPD

QRT

Baojie BJ-271

Double post

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber
Honestly guys, it doesn't matter. As long as the LICENSED Mfgr. meets or accedes the OEM specs, all is well.

Wanna talk about knock-offs? Look at your shoes.
Nike sells MILLIONS of pairs of sneakers a year. You know how many they actually make?
No A One! That's a fact.
New Balance used to be the only manufacturer in the US.... now they have even gone import.

I have a smart phone from a company called iRulu. 3rd party, euro/asian brand, unlocked for US carriers..... It's the best smart phone i've ever owned. It runs a virgin Android 5.2.2 without ALL the custom name brand overlays and junk apps. I can delete ANYTHING I dont want and when I tell something not to run, it wont......and my Battery lasts all day!

Get used to it boys, you'll never buy what you think your getting ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.