Yaesu FT-60R Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

tip120

I have recently acquired a Yaesu FT-60R from a friend, that was dropped, and no long functions properly.

The radio transmits perfectly, absolutely no issues there.

All the built in functions and buttons work as well, changing frequencies, menus, memories, etc.

The issue seems to be on the receiving side. When tuned to a random empty frequency, the speaker emits nothing but a rather rough crackling static. Not white noise static, electrical short sounding static.

When tuned to a frequency currently in use, the speaker goes perfectly silent. No sound whatsoever, though the S-meter displays and works properly.

At first I assume the issue may be with the audio output IC, given the symptoms, however, it seems as if the Squelch knob, and the monitor button, neither function, and the volume knob does, so I suspect the problem may be elsewhere. I've had the radio apart several times, and have gone over it with a magnifying glass to check for any obvious issues, none of which I've found.

The only equipment I really have here to use for testing is a decent multimeter and a half-reliable (One channel is out) 50MHz scope. I do however have the service manual for this radio.

In any case, I'm looking for advice of where to go from here.

Much Appreciated.

JoeRock

Shot in the dark... have you tried a full reset of the radio? Instructions are in the manual.

I had a radio once that showed it working (full display) but I could not hear anything even though the radio next to it was picking up everything. I reset the funky radio and I was back in business... everything came to life.

KB0VWG

Just might be loose speaker wire too but the hard reset would be the first thing i would do like JoeRock said.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.