IC 7200

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougdoug

I have been saving for and researching information prior to purchasing a new transceiver. Currently using a FT 101EE I bought new in the mid 70’s. I had narrowed my choices to either the TS 590 or the IC 7410. For some reason I keep coming back to take a look at the IC 7200. I know it doesn’t have all the features of the other two but it looks like it would be a big step up from the 101 and probably do all I need. I realize there is no FM but I just can’t see that being an issue, what with all the other modes. I am not a contester and only do a little rag chewing and DX when I hear it. Just like to hear from and meet people in other states or countries. I’m a pretty casual user. What do you think? Will the 7200 fit that bill?

Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't own either radio and I'm somewhat of an Icom fan when it comes to HF radios, but I'm pretty sure that the TS-590 has a better receiver than the IC-7200. That can be a plus if you are trying to pull out a weak DX station or find yourself in the middle of a crowded band.

That said, any of the radios you mentioned are going to be a world of difference from your FT-101EE. Digital signal processing has taken HF radios well beyond what you currently have.

N0IU

Well only you know what your budget will bear and it is none of our business. The main thing is that the IC-7410 is about $600 more than the IC-7200 and only you can make that call.

I have an IC-7410 and I am very biased in its favor so I would say that if you can afford one, get one!

But not only does the IC-7200 not have FM (and I agree that this isn't a deal breaker, for me anyway), but it also does not have a built-in automatic antenna tuner... which the IC-7410 does have. If you already have some sort of tuner, then this might not be a deal breaker for you either.

dougdoug

Thanks for the replies.

This question is moot at this point as today I just spent my Christmas money on a new TS 590, Samlex power supply, and Kenwood desk mike.

Hope it is nice as I expect.

N0IU

That's a nice rig too and I am sure you will enjoy it.

We had a lightning hit about a year and a half ago and it took out my Ten Tec Jupiter. I know it is heresy to say this, but I did not want to replace it with another Ten Tec. My 3 choices were the IC-7410, TS-590 and the Yaesu FT-950 since they were all pretty much the same price. My last Icom rig was a 756Pro so I decided to stay with a brand I knew.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.