Fake Icoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

I haven't seen a "V89" in awhile. ...You're right, eBay usually doesn't care.

D

DaveNF2G

eBay cares about keeping governments happy, apparently. They will shut down certain kinds of auctions instantly.

Perhaps you should notify the Feds about the fakes on eBay. When they hear from DOJ, the auctions should disappear quite suddenly.

rapidcharger

I have reported those several times and they don't do anything as others have pointed out.

I have since moved on to reporting sellers selling "new in box" items that are clearly not in the box and the description states that it has been used.

Well at least that was fun up until the point they removed the relevant option from their abuse report form. Now they don't mind outright lies in the descriptions either so come one, come all. Ripoffs, fakes, counterfeits, scams, stolens, brokens, used items sold as new..... you can do it! eBaY!

JustLou

eBay cares about keeping governments happy, apparently. They will shut down certain kinds of auctions instantly.

Yeah. Like if you list a Pro-2006 Scanner and put "no gaps" or "unblocked" in the description, despite the fact those frequencies have long since been abandoned for cell phone usage.

Last edited:

WB4CS

What's this ebay you speak of?

....goes to website to check it out.....

Oh, that high priced place!? I never shop there.

Why you ask? Here's a good example:

Here's a Kenwood TS-590S HF radio on ebay for $2029.00 and $3256.00 Here's the same radio from a reputable radio dealer in the US for $1449.00!!!

I quit using ebay when they abandoned auction only, and quit going to the site to check prices once people started jacking up their prices to above retail.

kc5uta

What's this ebay you speak of?

....goes to website to check it out.....

Oh, that high priced place!? I never shop there.

Why you ask? Here's a good example:

Here's a Kenwood TS-590S HF radio on ebay for $2029.00 and $3256.00 Here's the same radio from a reputable radio dealer in the US for $1449.00!!!

I quit using ebay when they abandoned auction only, and quit going to the site to check prices once people started jacking up their prices to above retail.

good lord!...does that ebay model come with a box of condoms? because SOMEBODY is getting "*#@%&(#" on that deal! wow what a rip off.....E-Bay is off MY list "fo sho"

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Interesting how a thread about fake Icom radios has morphed into a thread to bash eBay and all the bad deals there...

Caveat Emptor people.. I've never had a bad deal on eBay.. But I'm also careful about it.. And know enough to steer clear of the whacko pricing...

WB4CS

Interesting how a thread about fake Icom radios has morphed into a thread to bash eBay and all the bad deals there...

Caveat Emptor people.. I've never had a bad deal on eBay.. But I'm also careful about it.. And know enough to steer clear of the whacko pricing...

From the original post:
I have notified eBay in the past, nothing happens.

So it seems this thread was almost intended to bash ebay :)

I've found a few good things on ebay that were priced well, but the majority of things I've looked for (mostly electronics) are way overpriced. Especially used ham radio equipment, I've seen 10 year old radios listed for 5% of the original MSRP. I've seen 2 or 3 year old radios go for dollars less than brand new radios.

Here's another example. It's a **USED** Kenwood TS-2000 radio that was purchased earlier this year and the seller is asking $1699.00 for it. Or you can go HERE and get the same radio brand new, never used for $1379.00 (sale price, regular price is $1639.00 which is still cheaper than the USED radio.)

I'm not saying everything on ebay is like that, but the majority of the things I've shopped for have been way overpriced.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Buying and selling any product is a two-way street. The seller has to offer the goods at a price the buyer is willing to pay. Otherwise, the seller gets to sit on his goods and not make any money. In other words, we wouldn't see outrageous prices on eBay if buyers were not willing to pay what the seller asks. Does a smart buyer see this practice as shady or underhanded? Sure. Does a smart buyer have to pay those prices? Heck, no. Since a fool and his money are soon parted and a sucker is born every minute, the smart buyer should consider himself fortunate that he has risen above the fool and sucker level.

As Gene says, caveat emptor.

What is unfortunate is that eBay doesn't appear to do anything about counterfeit goods being sold on their site. Whether it's fake Icom radios or CD-ROMs filled with copyrighted manuals, the sellers should be stopped. Sadly eBay isn't going to take the time or spend the money to crack down on those sellers. So, we're back to caveat emptor.

I've purchased lots of good stuff at good prices from eBay. I've also walked away from a lot of sales because the deal seemed too good to be true, the seller seemed untrustworthy, or the price was too darn high. Nobody was holding a gun to my head forcing me to bid on anything.

D

DaveNF2G

Overpricing of electronics is not peculiar to eBay. Go to a hamfest flea market. Most hams don't seem to understand, or refuse to acknowledge, the fact that electronics depreciate by at least 50% as soon as you open the box.

MzDemoness

A lot of the China Icom radios are fake even though Icom might have a real version of the radio. You are better off buying from an authorized dealer in the United States. There is no such thing as the V89.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Very sound advice.
I have seen some knockoff IC-U82's on Scambay, from US sellers. Usually the "Icom" word logo on the front is a slightly "one off" font, and the keypad is slightly different.

The big difference is what is under the plastic, a cheap walkie-talkie on chip based HT with no D-star upgrade connector.

Buy the REAL thing from a dealer, or take your chances on some fake crap. Choice is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.