New radio time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davecason

Hi Folks,

So here's the plan for the new toys ..... and I thought I'd run it past the grown-ups first! (grin) I'm a new ham and so far I've just got a couple Wouxun's UVD1P's as a starter radio's and I'm now planning the upgrade.

The two wouxun's were a great price with lotsa of toys and accessories and they work OK for very basic monitoring and usage, I added a Comet CA-2x4SRNMO on the truck with a mag mount and that helps.

So the choice was/is mobile or base station, my commute in the truck daily is a whole 12 minutes, so I'm not in the truck M-F 9-5 but I'm out on weekends one in 3. (just did my first car rally last weekend)

So base or mobile? Here's my compromise .....I think I'm going to buy a FT-987D as the first real radio and use it in the house 90% of the time. I'd buy that and get a decent power supply like their FP-30 for use in the house. For antennas I think for 2m/70 I'll get a Diamond X6000A and then for HF something like a simple G5RV for the as yet untouched (by myself ) HF world?

I have a corner lot in Calgary - Looking at the house from the front. Neighbor's house on the left side of the lot - a city street on the right side of the lot on a curve - and an alleyway going across the back of the lot.

- From the front of the lot on the left side to the back of the lot on the neighbors side it's a hundred feet.
- Across the back of the lot from left to right along the alleyway it's also a hundred feet.
- Then from that back right corner of the lot it comes back up towards the front of my house lot right hand
and that curves once you get past the side yard and up to the front right side of the house.

So there is lots of room for two 51' pieces of wire. I'll put the diamond up on top of the house where I have an HDTV antenna on a mast and a small 2 ft sat dish and spare extra mast bolted to the chimney.

Think they're will be any issues with the HDTV antenna being close the Diamond? What about the whole choice of antennas and radios over all?

Lastly, can anyone name a suggestion for an antenna for the truck for HF? I was thinking of their ATAS-120A for the truck for mobile use at a later date - I am joining ARES.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome -thanks folks!

Cheers'
Dave

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Wow Dave, you're really hitting the ground running. Congrats on getting your license.

Shouldn't be any problems with HDTV reception. Great setup choices. If you want to have a smaller footprint, you can put the antenna up in an inverted "V" configuration. It works great for me that way. I can work Canada like laser beams.

If you're going to only be in the truck for 12 minutes..it might not be worth getting an HF rig in there. IMO. But people have had good results with those antennas you can lower and raise with a switch. Can't think of the name because I don't have one or HF in my car since my commute is so short.

Welcome to the hobby. I'm fairly new myself.

davecason

Hi Pinball ....

Well ..... I've been hunting for a proper rig since I started and I just got my advanced in Jan so what the heck. (grin) I don't know how practical HF is in a mobile rig but I have joined ARES so maybe it'll be helpful for them.

I won't be running it in the car day to day of course but it seems like a decent option if it's ever needed and $1200 for an all band is a bit better to swallow than 2K+ for a normal base station. I think it'll be a good start, it'll be in the house most of the time but when I do my next event like another rally or field day it'll be nice to have the option.

Yep, I heard about the V option for mounting but like I said I have pretty big yard so space isn't a problem and I can't see myself tossing up a 50 ft tower ..... at least not yet! :) Antennas are still something I need to learn so the Diamond I think will be OK for the house and it's not a bad price so that's covered and since I'm new to HF as well, again the G5 is a pretty good start I think.

I'll probably ask a few of the vets at CARA for help when I go to set it up, since I have nothing and these grounding rod thingys sound helpful. (if you hear a scream coming from hidden valley in Calgary, you'll know I'm not doing it right - grin)

Cheers'
Dave

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
RAC doesn't show you with an Advance yet, Basic with honours. So HF with restricted power is suitable. Most people will say that these all in one HF/VHF/UHF are a compromise, as is the ATAS. It has been a while since I looked at the ATAS, but I believe it is a 40 m and up. Some have stuck a longer steel whip to get onto 80 m. And 80 m is generally what you would want to use for local HF. 40 m may be useable during the day. So a specific antenna for each band would be better. If you have not searched for HF mobile operations, this should be done as it is very important to correctly bond your vehicle. HF mobile is a lot different than just setting up VHF/UHF. And there are some hams that you wouldn't dare mention mag. mount to them. If you can, get a proper VHF/UHF antenna that is not mag mounted. So do an internet link and you will find a couple of good articles. There is a local ham that has some very good pictures of how he bonded his vehicle. You mentioned a Yaesu FT-987D but I am not familiar with that radio. It was mentioned about an FT-857 or FT-897. I do think they are good radios to start with to see what your interests will be. If you do set things up wrong and blow the radio, it is a less expensive experience than doing this with a more expensive HF radio. These are all purpose radios, but not the best at any one thing, especially on HF. I won't go into base antennas as I am really not familiar enough with these.

rapidcharger

So the choice was/is mobile or base station, my commute in the truck daily is a whole 12 minutes, so I'm not in the truck M-F 9-5 but I'm out on weekends one in 3. (just did my first car rally last weekend)

So base or mobile?

Base.

I think you answered this question yourself. It's sort of like your mom saying you can go and play video games but only for 12 minutes a day then you have to turn it off and go do your homework. Put the radio in your shack where it belongs.

davecason

Hi Rapid!

Oh yea, Base for sure , Now I have to decide where in the house!? (grin) Is this a first world problem?

I did answer that question but what with being a newbie and all it seems pertinent to post it on the forum anyway. The folks on here have literally YEARS of experience so why not, and I have 3 months so it can't hurt to ask.

It's not so much of a base or mobile question as it is - what do you guys think of my combo with the 897D and those choices of antennas? I will be running it in the house and listening and learning but I will be moving it in to the truck on weekends and stuff. I have to get a DStar rig at some point too .....

Cheers'
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.