Kenwood TS-430S Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

caerickson

I purchased a Kenwood TS-430S Transceiver. The unit powered up and has audio, but the Digital Frequency Display will only show the numbers 0-9 when the VFO is rotated. The Band Switch seems to function but it doesn't affect the frequency display.

Any ideas on how to clear this problem would be appreciated.

Chuck Erickson
KG7LDE

k3cfc

Silent Key
Mine did the same thing about a year after i bought it. it has been a while sense i repaired it so ill try to help. I noticed a lot of heat coming off of the radio around the regulator transistors located on the top board in the back. 5 and 8 volt regulators they have the single tab at the top with one screw. again i can't remember if it was on the voltage side or the regulated side but there are caps on the regs and i found that the voltage was way down due to these caps being shorted. if you have a print it will be evident as the which ones i am referring to. I just removed them and the display came on. but there was other problems and i tracked it down to a crystal on the control board under the top board. The crystal is a 8.xxx mhz and i didn't have that frequency there it was way off due to what i think was a bad crystal . i couldn't find one so i bought a board from a working radio on ebay for $25.00 plus shipping. that fixed it. they say it is a good idea to recap these radios because of their age.

Hope this helps

K3CFC

Status
Not open for further replies.