RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment - For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 2:11 AM

We used to tape camcorder batteries together and use them ,back in those days though if someone was mugging you , you knocked them out by swinging the HT by the antenna , with today's tiny radios sometimes you can find used laptop batteries for sale when one cell goes bad the whole battery is "garbage" to most people, bust those bad boys open extract the high capacity 18650 rechargeables reycle the bad one , use the remaining good ones to power your radios ,beats retail !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2017, 8:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath View Post
the whole battery is "garbage" to most people, bust those bad boys open extract the high capacity 18650 rechargeables reycle the bad one , use the remaining good ones to power your radios ,beats retail !
Thanks - I haven't decided which direction to go. I also fly RC planes and have a decent assortment of lipo batteries I can lash together.
Old 06-03-2017, 6:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI6VX View Post
FWIW, I put in an order for the Anytone 3318UV 12V battery eliminator so I can use it to make a larger battery pack for the DJ-500T. Mainly looking to carry it back and forth from home to work and have the battery last for a day of scanning/listening. Will update you guys if I make anything worthwhile out of it.
Received the Anytone 3318UV 12V battery eliminator and another docking stand today. High quality parts, less expensive than from Alinco and docking stand looks identical other than the sticker on the bottom.

The 12V battery eliminator has a buck regulator in the cigarette plug which reduces the voltage to 8.2V. I extended the wire from the 8.2V side going to the HT so I could put a DC clamp meter on it to see what the current draw is. My meter has only 10mA resolution, and here is what I measured.

- channel mode, power save option set to auto, set on a single frequency, nothing being received, backlight off - 20-50mA
- channel mode, power save option set to OFF, set on a single frequency, nothing being received, backlight off - 90-100mA

- channel mode, scanning, nothing being received, backlight off - 80-90mA
- channel mode, nothing being received, backlight on - 100mA
- channel mode, squelch open, backlight on - 120mA

- transmit, VHF, high power - 2.25A, med - 1.20A, low - 1.07A
- transmit, UHF, high power - 1.47A, med - 0.85A, low - 0.80A

Clamp on DC current meter is picking up RF - radio position would change the above measurements so I tried to take the readings without moving the radio.

Doesn't look like the 12 power adapter is easily disassembled on the radio end. Will buy another unit and cut off the cigarette lighter end off and hook up to an 2 cell RC lipo pack.
Old 06-03-2017, 7:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Does anyone have a programming cable for this HT? If so can you post a photo of it?

I own one for my Baofeng UV-5R that has worked on it, an 888s and Luiton 316 radios no problem but won't work for my DJ-500T

Wondering if it's not compatible or my radio has a problem.