Kenwood TM V71a Repeater Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireems3

I have a Kenwood TMV71a mobile radio which I'm having trouble understanding the Locked Band verses Cross Band repeater function.

I've got it doing Cross Band repeat (Side 1 on 2-meters and Side 2 on 70cm or vice/versa) and it works fine. I can't seem to figure out the Locked Band repeat function. Does Locked Band allow it to work as a "same band repeater" (receive and transmit on 2-meters or 70cm)? If so, can anyone tell me how to make it work as a same band repeater?

Thanks and 73

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Cross-band repeat is a two-way repeater, i.e. V to U or U to V. The radio will repeat whatever signal was the last one to hit the radio.

Locked-band repeat, in Kenwood's terminology, is a one-way repeater, i.e. either V to U or U to V, but not both. The radio will only repeat the band that it is set for when you initiate repeat mode. In other words, if you set the radio for locked-band repeat from U to V, the radio will repeat what it hears on U back out on V, but it will ignore what it hears on V. This is useful in situations where your handheld can hear the V station just fine, but you can't get back into the V station from your handheld. So, you set your mobile as a locked-band repeater from U to V and use your handheld to listen on V, but transmit on U.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The TM-V71a will not do same band repeat. It will only cross band repeat or locked repeat as described by the post before mine.

fireems3

Thank you for the responses. This helps GREATLY to better understand my radio. Also helps me to understand the concept of the "locked band" repeat feature!!

Thanks Again!!

73 to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.