TYT TH-9800 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_am_Alpha1

I've had this in my shack for a month now and really like it. It's similar to the Yaesu FT-8900, but much cheaper. It was smaller than expected. Everyone will tell you not to waste your money on 6m and 10m FM because it's dead--totally wrong. When they open, the bands are packed. Also, a dual band radio is around $300--this radio is around $260. The audio is loud and clear. The speaker is in the main body and not the detachable control head, which may limit some installations, but there is an external speaker jack on the back. It uses a standard T power connector. The left side has all four bands while the right is 2m and 70cm only. It does have extended receive capabilities--check the manual. It will do crossband repeater which is cool. There is only one antenna port--so you will need to change feedlines or use a duplexer. There are no decent mobile or base antennas for quad band radios--I use the Comet GP-15 tri-band for 6m, 2m, and 70cm but don't like it because it has high SWR spots on 50.1-50.3, 425-431, and 445-449. I have a home brew 10m double bazooka in the attic mounted inverted V which reaches across the country easily. I program it using software--much easier than manually, however the software sucks (but it is better than manual). I leave the programming cable plugged into the computer so I can change it quickly. I did have one programming problem that is noteworthy--when programming a channel, there is a small check box labeled "emphasis" that is pre-checked--leave it checked or your radio won't work. I unchecked it and was totally unreadable--people thought that I'd swallowed the mic. I manually programmed a simplex channel and listened on my scanner and it was clear--took me forever to figure it out. It is not listed in the manual and others have asked about it online with no answers given. It only draws 8.9A, so you don't need a monster power supply--something around 15-20A is perfect (you should not go over 50% of the rating for long term use). I recommend this radio and would be another one.

I_am_Alpha1

TYT specific programming software and cable--I bundled it with the radio along with 2 of their digital handheld radios. The software is free online--easy to find. The cable has the chip in it--should be able to use any cable with the prolific chip.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I sent my TYT-9800 back after 4 strikes. I did buy a 3 year warranty with it, but it would duplicate the manufactures warranty, and that included sending back to China. I hate to tell you how much that radio would cost to send back to China, or even tell you the chances of getting it back, never mind working.
The last thing that went wrong was what prompted me to cut my losses while I could. The loud beep that you hear when you touch buttons can be turned off, but when I left the band and came back, the beep returned. The USB cable has a forged Prolific chip in it, and Windows will want to install a driver for it, only it won't work. You have to install the driver you down from their web site. Many never got the cable to work, and some who got it to work, had a windows update that changed it and broke it again. My honest opinion is that people should stay clear of the radio until they work the bugs out of it, and get a US supplier who can service the radios under warranty free of charge. Some US dealers do sell and stand behind the radio and any problems you may have. I like that I have Icom beg=hind my radio warranty, and more importantly I like that I don't need to call them.

jeapple18

Premium Subscriber
You are kidding

I bought the TH-9800, with programming cable, and the software came with it. I have had NO problems whatsoever, NONE. Works perfectly. I run Windows 8.1. You must be doing something wrong. I LOVE the radio, it's wonderful.

dave6890

Premium Subscriber
I've seen that the stock programming cables for Chinese radios like Baofeng, TYT etc are hit or miss. I have two for my Baofeng UV-5R for Chrip and they both do not work. It might be the radio itself because the speaker/mic ports are tricky and designed poorly. It might be a similar problem with the TH-9800.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
based on a lot of reviews, I gave this radio a try. Right off the bat, it had wildly fluctuating power (on L, M2, M1, & H) -- from one frequency to another, the power output would be vastly different (from 10w to 20w to 4w on high) - all with swr of less than 1.5.
I purchased direct from tyt; as I thought that would be the best way to get warranty support, in case I needed it.
Once the radio arrived, I couldn't use the programming cable, it had no drivers for win8; so that was useless.
I had some others check the power, and they too were stumped. I contacted tyt and they wanted videos of the readings -- so I provided it.
Then a few weeks later, I could no longer access the menu system; and then it started having problems changing frequency.
TYT just stopped responding to me & have refused to warranty the radio & it's completely bricked now.

I now understand the woes of buying from China.
It appears built well & sturdy; but it just didn't work from the get go & went downhill quick.

prcguy

I've had one for about a year with no problems and it spends a lot of time as a cross band repeater. My only complaint is when the radio unsquelches it can make a popping sound in the speaker, which is not really noticeable when the volume is up but when down you can hear it popping.
prcguy

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I've had my TH-9800 in my vehicle and using it mobile for almost a year now. Rock solid. Programmed it easily with CHIRP. Before I bought it I was reading that TYT had a run of the 9800s with a final power amp problem.... counterfeit/defective chips or something similar . Can't find the Internet article about it now. Anyway, I found other reviews saying that problem was fixed in their "Updated Version" that began shipping about 12 months ago. If you bought directly from TYT I can't imagine them sending the "old" version with the problem to you.
As a mobile radio, there are only a couple things I dislike: No lights on the front panel function buttons (but there are lights on the mic), the radio "beeps" when in scan mode and stops on a new channel, and the display is a little hard to read. But the display problem is my fault for where I had to mount it. Overall it's been a solid rig and gets me on 6M and 10M FM mobile as well as 2M and 70cm that were covered by my old Alinco DR-635.

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone knows that how can i remove the mountain from the radio!! I saw a botton on the side but nothing happens when i push it.

stantorres

Power up setting

Does anybody know if in a Mobile Installation, will the radio power up when it receives 12 volts in the last configuration when it power down? Or does it require you to depress the power button every time you start the car?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone knows that how can i remove the mountain from the radio!! I saw a botton on the side but nothing happens when i push it.

Assuming you mean the faceplate, while holding the button down, apply pressure from the right side to slide it off the mounting hooks.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
TYT recommends wiring the TH-9800 directly to the battery, and it does not have an ignition sense "orange wire" that will turn the radio on / off with the vehicle ignition. So yes, you'll need to press the power on / off button each time you want to turn the radio on or off.

Status
Not open for further replies.