Just bought 2 I Comm V8000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
wondering what I should use for a power supply in my home. I have 1 in the truck and I take my test on Jan 15th!!!!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
IC-V8000

If you plan on using the full output of this radio, do not use a lighter plug. It requires just under 15 amps at full output. For base use, I would look for a 20 amp supply, and for the mobile, wire it directly to the battery with proper fusing.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
SO buy a 20 amp suppy and use theee harness that comes with the radio and wire it direct into the power supply

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Base: I use an Astron RS-20M.

Mobile: I use a cig lighter adapter I bought at a hamfest, but NOT at the full 75W output.

rick4320

I wouldn't wire it to the vehicle fuse panel. It really should be straight to the battery with an inline fuse near the battery terminal connectors. This would be the safest and best power connection.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Yes thanks. I guess I will have to figure out how to wire it up in the truck

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Why not run it to the fuse box . that's where my scanner is wired to. I have never wired anything to battery

rick4320

The radio draws a lot of amps while transmitting so direct to the battery is the best power source. The fuse panel has tiny gauge wires which you would be pulling from and may pop a fuse. trust me when I say the battery is your best choice.

N5TWB

Why not run it to the fuse box . that's where my scanner is wired to. I have never wired anything to battery

Please figure on wiring it directly to the battery while using at least 12 gauge wire.

Read this page: Wiring & Grounding

Now, read it again...and don't run a wire until you understand what you're doing.

Your scanner does not draw nearly the amperage that a 75 watt VHF radio will draw.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't have a cluevto wire and fuse it but some name gguy must out there closer to me

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't have a cluevto wire and fuse it to the batteries but some name gguy must out there closer to me be able to... I go for ham liscence Jan 15th

rick4320

The radio would come with the power cable that you would feed through the firewall of the vehicle. Then just attach the wires to the battery terminal with connectors of some sort. The fuses are usually pre-installed on the power wires. just make sure the radio is disconnected from the power wires during installation, protects your radio from accidental damages. Even take the fuses out of the power wire until install is 100% complete. Then replace and test radio.

majoco

Stirrer
Why anyone needs 75W in a mobile rig is beyond me - I never went over 5W when talking through the repeaters en route and may have gone to a full 25W if parked up and chatting simplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.