ICOM 718

Status
Not open for further replies.

IIIQUAZIII

Hello all, cheers, from me, KD2HQK. I'm very newly licensed myself...so go easy on me. I just bought a secondhand ICOM 718 from a guy on ebay....since my hand-me-down Drake TR7 is experiencing an issue I don't know how to fix.

I haven't received the ICOM yet, but I just went online and printed the whole manual for it....and have been doing a little research on it. It seems like a great beginner radio from what I've read online, and I got it for what I feel is a fair price (hopefully it works alright, and I don't have any issues with the seller)

I was just wondering what the opinion is on them? Thoughts? Things to look out for? Issues, or caveats, or cool tips and tricks?

I'm interested in doing some digital transmissions, SSTV, PSK31, etc..... Is this a decent radio for that? That stuff wouldn't work at all on my old Drake rig....I tried...it did however work on a old Cobra CB I have over short distances...lol

Anyways, anything cool or useful or helpful you can tell me about this radio if you've had one personally is welcome. I've been reading about it for an hour or so, going to read some more stuff now.

73's for now.

Last edited:

K7MEM

The Drake TR7 should have been able to operate with any of the digital modes. If it works in USB/LSB you can make it work. I can operate PSK-31 on my old Heathkit SB-101 and my Radio Shack HTX-100. And with CW being a digital mode, I can also use my CW-Only rigs.

The IC-718 should provide you with everything you need, for a long time. All of the digital modes (SSTV, PSK-31, etc) are run via a computer sound card and the audio in/out on your transceiver. With the IC-718 you can use the rear ACC connector. The manual shows a OPC-599 conversion cable. That just creates two connectors from one. If your using a commercial interface, with standard cable, that might be needed. However, if you are going to make your own interface, the conversion cable isn't needed. Of course, you still need the mating connector. The OPC-599 conversion cable makes the connectors look like my IC-735.

There is a section in your manual for AFSK connections. The same connections are used for SSTV and PSK-31. On the read panel there is also a CIV connector. This can be used with computer programs like, Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD), to control the IC-718. The DM780 part of HRD can be used to manage all of the digital modes.

For my use, my interface is home made. All of the audio connections to/from the PC are direct wired. Some use transformers for isolation and attenuators, but I have no trouble with a direct connection. For CIV, I built a small 4 transistor interface that works fine with the IC-735.

There are commercial interfaces. I am sure someone will come along with the name of one or two. They should be almost plug-and-play.

sloop

The IC-718 is a great radio to get your feet wet or a great all-around radio if you don't have thousands to sink into a rig (my case). I have a modified 718 and used it on MARS for years. I now have an IC-7200, great radio (grown up version of the 718 with all the filters) but the 718's receive audio is much better. The last post responded to the data connections better than I could have. Enjoy the 718...if someday you 'out grow' it KEEP IT anyway, its a great backup/field day radio. 73's NC4WX

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
There are a number of great Drake groups in Yahoo that can help you get the TR7 back up and running. It might be something as simple as re-seating the various boards in the radio. Describe the issue with the Drake.
I have a TR7 and its my main radio. I wouldn't trade it for the word.

IIIQUAZIII

There are a number of great Drake groups in Yahoo that can help you get the TR7 back up and running. It might be something as simple as re-seating the various boards in the radio. Describe the issue with the Drake.
I have a TR7 and its my main radio. I wouldn't trade it for the word.

I've posted about it before. My grandpa bought it new. He handed it down to me. First thing I did was blow out dust, spray out knobs and switches, and re-seat what boards I could, and changed burnt lightbulbs.

Here'es the problem with the radio:

AM sounds rough, I mean, bad, real muffled....hard to understand anything. I can deal with that, I don't do much local AM stuff.....

SSB on all the bands sounds fine. I've made a bunch of contacts on the east coast. The radio does this thing where the volume fades off to nothing over the course of about 5 seconds....no sound out the speaker....not even static. It happens randomly....sometimes it will not do it for 3 hours straight, other times it will do it 2-3x an hour and be a real pain. Frequency is a little off, minor drift but that's no biggie....I can turn a knob like nobodies business....lol

I have contacted a guy who is willing to work on it, but his quote (which I felt was fair/reasonable) + shipping these big old components was just more than I have available to me at the moment. I'm broke... I just bought my first house. Seemed cheaper/easier to just get a new radio.

Grandpa helped me a little with deferring some of the cost of the newer radio....just seemed the thing to do in this case.

I still have the TR7 and MN2700 Antenna tuner and power supply and mic....its for sale or trade right now. I have it listed on ebay as well as here, and worldwidedx.com. Its in mint cosmetic condition, and works very well minus the issues I listed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.