Kenwood: KMC-9 mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackswan73

I have a six pin Kenwood KMC-9 desk mic. I want to modify it to work with my Kenwood TM-281a. The 281 uses an eight pin RJ45 mic connector, but only six pins are used. My biggest problem is the voltage. The KMC-9 mic requires 13.8v on pin 2 for the preamp. But the radio only outputs 8v. Now, upon looking at the preamp circuit, the 13.8v connects to the input of a 78L08 8v voltage regulator through a 100 ohm resistor. Now this regulator requires a minimum input of 10.5v. I am thinking since my radio only outputs 8v, can I jump the 13.8v side of the resistor to the output of the voltage regulator, and that would bypass the dropping resistor, and voltage regulator and feed the 8v from the radio mic jack straight in to the mic preamp circuit. Has anyone used this mic on a 8 pin radio?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I would not go around the 100 ohm resistor, it's there as a current limiting device so you don't smoke the SB line coming out of the mic jack when something shorts. Try just bypassing the input to output of the regulator.

Kenwood six pin mics line up correctly when put on an eight pin radio albeit a little loose. The only problem is the 8 volt vs 12 volt line you are seeing.

Blackswan73

Thank you, I will jump across the regulator, and see if I can make it work. If all else fails, I can bypass the entire preamp and use it as a straight desk mic.

K7MEM

Thank you, I will jump across the regulator, and see if I can make it work. If all else fails, I can bypass the entire preamp and use it as a straight desk mic.

I agree that you could bypass the voltage regulator (78L08), but I wouldn't eliminate the preamp entirely.

If it was my microphone, I would remove the 78L08 from the circuit and then add a jumper from input to output. The 8 volts from your transceiver should have more than enough current to run the preamp.

Together with the 0.01 uF capacitor on the input, the 100 Ohm resistor forms a RC filter. This helps keep any high frequency noise, that might be coming in on the power lines, from getting through to the preamp. The preamp operates at about 6 ma, nominally, so a voltage drop through the 100 Ohm resistor would only be about 0.6 volts. If you were driving it with 13.5 volts, the input voltage to the regulator would still be satisfied.

A typical dynamic microphone element has a very low impedance. While it can drive high impedance circuits, the sensitivity is quite low so amplification is essential. The transistor used in the preamp (2SC2458L) has high current gain, good linearity, and low noise. It will take the low output from the dynamic microphone element and bring it up to usable levels. The 680 Ohm resistor on the collector effectively defines the output impedance, which is about normal for most transceivers.

You should also be able to run the preamp with a 9 Volt battery, with the 78L08 removed. A standard 9 Volt battery should give you about 10 to 20 hours of continuous operation before the voltage droops to low to be useful. But for initial test purposes, it should be sufficient.

Martin - K7MEM

Blackswan73

Thanks, I totally missed that cap, lol. I was concentrating on the voltage input so much, I completely missed that LC filter. I was thinking the resistor was for current limiting. Now I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.