Yaesu: Question regarding the antennae on the Yaesu VX-6R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasso

Premium Subscriber
Really three questions.

1. If you use an aftermarket antennae does that destroy the water tightness of the radio at the antennae port?

2. What is a good handheld length aftermarket antennae for this radio and who makes a good sma to bnc adapter for it?

3. Does anyone who has this radio wish they had got the Kenwood TH-F6A instead? and if so why?

Thanks,

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
3. Does anyone who has this radio wish they had got the Kenwood TH-F6A instead? and if so why?
I've never owned a VX-6R. However, I can tell you why I chose the TH-F6A...

The VX-6R's power output on the 222 MHz band is only rated for 1.5 watts. The TH-F6A's power output on the 222 MHz band is 5 watts.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I own both radios. Yes, the TH-F6A has 5 watts on 220, but I don't have any problems hitting local 220 repeaters with the VX-6R. I like the water resistance on the Yaesu and I think it has a better receiver. That said, the Kenwood's dual receive can come in handy sometimes, but I've found myself switching it off more than on.

As for the antenna, I used the Diamond SRH320A on both radios. Much better than the stock antennas on all bands.

I would stay away from sma to bnc adaptors - too much strain on the top of the radio for handheld use. Comet and Diamond make adapter cords with sma to so-239 connectors. I use one of those in the car etc.

I don't think an aftermarket antenna will have much effect on water resistance. The antennas seat in a rubber gasket on the to of the radio. Stock antenna might be a little better, but I've never had a problem in rain or snow etc.

I think the memory management on the Yaesu is superior. The ability to create named memory groups and assign frequencies to more than one group is very handy. The Kenwood can do bank scanning too, but it is not as flexible.

Yaesu has a drop in charger. Kenwood does not.

Last edited:

AK9R

Super Moderator
The lack of drop-in charging on the Kenwood is an issue, but the after-market has taken care of that little problem.

I use the Diamond SRH320A, also.

Brasso

Premium Subscriber
Is that antennae better than the srh77ca ?

I went by Gigaparts today to look at the two radios. What I do know is that the people doing the Youtube videos on these radios must have tiny little baby hands because these radios are small. I was shocked at how small they were. They look more like cell phones than radios.

This is making me think more about the FT-60R just because it's bigger. But the water resistance of the 6R is hard not to like.

Last edited:

AK9R

Super Moderator
The Diamond SRH77CA is a 144 MHz/440 MHz antenna. The SRH320A is a 144 MHz/222 MHz/440 MHz antenna.

I wonder if you are overlooking the fact that the TH-F6A and VX-6R are tri-band radios. Of course, if there's no 222 MHz band activity in your area, having that band is not a factor to you. Comparing either of these radios to an FT-60 is an apples-oranges proposition. The FT-60 is a 144 MHz/440 MHz radio with rugged build quality and a long track record, but it's just a dual-band radio.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the water resistance of these radios unless you are a boater...or you spend a lot of time standing in the rain. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.