RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio Equipment

Amateur Radio Equipment - For general and technical discussion of Amateur Radio equipment such as transceivers, repeaters, controllers and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 11:27 PM

Default vhf noise

So I recently installed a new yaesu 2900 and larsen nmo150 antenna in my truck to monitor two meters and some utility frequencies. It seems to work good except on certain frequencies it picks up a lot of noise and on others it doesn't. This radio has a squelch knob which helps eliminate the noise but sometimes I turn it all the way up and it's still making noise. I installed the radio and antenna exactly as per installation instructions. Also it doesn't matter if the truck is running or not. Has anyone here experienced this before or have any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2015, 7:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What are the "certain" frequencies and where are you located? Also what make/model is the truck? Anything else in the truck that didn't come installed from the factory? Are you using a cell charger plugged into the cigar lighter ?
Old 07-20-2015, 9:15 AM

The truck is a 98 f150. There is nothing plugged in and no electronic accessories are installed. One frequency in particular is 138.750 has alot of noise. This is used in a trunked system in my area (northern Saskatchewan ) by police fire and ems. Could it be possible that I am receiving transmissions on this frequency but it's encrypted so all I get is static noise?
Old 07-20-2015, 3:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Considering that you have an analog FM ham radio, and your province is on a P-25 trunk system, and the frequency you have programmed is a Control Channel on that system, you won't hear anything on the 2900. You would need to get a digital P-25 scanner to hear what goes on in your area.
You may want to post in the Canadian forums for more help.
Larry
Old 07-20-2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Considering that you have an analog FM ham radio, and your province is on a P-25 trunk system, and the frequency you have programmed is a Control Channel on that system, you won't hear anything on the 2900. You would need to get a digital P-25 scanner to hear what goes on in your area.
You may want to post in the Canadian forums for more help.
Larry
Even then RCMP are full time, AES-256 encrypted on that system.

Most law enforcement in Saskachewan is encrypted.

Tags
noise, squelch, yaesu