Kenwood: V71A: Grief With Chirp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

...And it starts right there at channel 648.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am trying to import from a D710 into V71A. But it adamantly refuses to acknowledge any channel whatsoever above 647. I have tried the following formats.

.chirp
.csv
.hmk

Nothing works. With the CSV, I did edit in excel the channel names to make them all compatible with the V71A. It loads fine. UNTIL yew get to channel 648.

Sigh. I don't wanna support rtsystems and their "up yours" proprietary cables. I know why they are doing it (we all do), but it still bothers me.

Does anyone know how to get around this? :(

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So, your choices are the free software that works but not to your liking, the free software that doesn't work, or the paid software that works (by all reports).

If CHIRP isn't working for you, contacting the CHIRP developers may be your best bet.

Have you tried importing the .CSV or .HMK file that CHIRP creates into the Kenwood software to see if it uploads OK?

FWIW, I've had my own issues with CHIRP and other Kenwood products, so I don't use it. I use the Kenwood-provided software.

k6cpo

In my opinion, the best programming software out there is made by RT Systems. I've used Chirp for my Baofeng UV-5R, only because I wasn't going to spend money on software for a radio I got for free and don't use and I program my Wouxun Part 90 radios with software provided by the US distributor of the radios. All the rest of my radios are programmed using RT Systems software.

khaytsus

...And it starts right there at channel 648.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am trying to import from a D710 into V71A. But it adamantly refuses to acknowledge any channel whatsoever above 647. I have tried the following formats.

.chirp
.csv
.hmk

Nothing works. With the CSV, I did edit in excel the channel names to make them all compatible with the V71A. It loads fine. UNTIL yew get to channel 648.

Sigh. I don't wanna support rtsystems and their "up yours" proprietary cables. I know why they are doing it (we all do), but it still bothers me.

Does anyone know how to get around this? :(

I know this is an old thread; but maybe you ran into what I noticed. Since CHIRP does not have a "format" for the 71a you have to download memories, then export as CSV. This of course labels channel numbers, but any gaps are left empty so if you have 150 channels all over the 1000 memories, it still only stores 150 lines. Not sure what CHIRP's default for a "new" profile is, but I think it's about 100. You have to manually tell it to have 999 channels at the top of the UI. Then you can import the CSV and it puts the channels in the right places. Otherwise it'll loose any after 100 lines.

I have not attempted to copy a full set of channels down to my v71a from CHIRP yet but pretty sure you'd have to basically download from the radio to get a Kenwood 'mapping' set up. Set up a "new" profile with 999 channels and import your csv file of frequencies you already set up. Copy/paste from the new profile over the Kenwood one in CHIRP's UI. It'll bug you if any channels exist, and if anything is invalid it'll refuse to do it and leave that channel blank but would otherwise work.

Status
Not open for further replies.